eight

Bucky

Bucky stared at the blonde boy in front of him, waiting for his answer. Steve nervously glazed to the left, and then to the right, and then back at Bucky.

"I, uh...I came to check on you, Bucky." Came his response, but Bucky didn't hear it.

Fuck, he saw my scars. Oh gods, what if he asks about them? I can't just come right out and say–wait a second, why is he even here? After I moaned his name yesterday and made a complete fool of myself? Oh Steve, you will always be an enigma to me.

"Bucky...?" Steve prompted, causing the brunet to shake his head to rid it of his thoughts. His eyes dropped down to Steve's chest and he felt the wind rush out of him: Steve's shirt was see through, and he was sweating profusely. Meaning that Bucky could see the outline of each one of his pectorals. Meaning that Bucky's mind completely short circuited.

A murderous scream suddenly came from behind Bucky, bringing both boys' gazes to the house, where a big blue circular umbrella was rushing towards the door.

"You'll pay with your life for setting your hands on my best fr–wait, Steve?" Tasha's voice was almost a growl as she threatened whoever was in front of her weapon of choice, until she saw the tuft of blond hair sitting above questioning–and quite frightened–blue eyes. She recognized him before she stabbed him with her umbrella, her eyebrows drawing together in confusion. Tasha lowered the blue umbrella and glanced between Steve and Bucky.

"Tasha...really?" Her best friend accused her, and she raised an eyebrow, closing the umbrella and leaning on it casually.

"What? You told me to go all Mary Poppins on his ass, so..." she drawled, motioning to the umbrella and then at Steve, who snorted. Bucky turned red and shoved his roommate backwards so she stumbled back into the living room.

"Sorry about her, she's kinda stupid," Bucky told Steve, who just shook his head and smiled incredulously. Bucky pursed his lips and stuffed his hands in his pockets. "You...you came to check on me?" He finally asked, thanking the gods that his voice didn't quiver, even though his heart was racing and he was breathing sporadically.

Steve let out a breath and ran a hand through his hair, drawing Bucky's gaze to his arms. The brunet shamelessly checked him out before shaking his head and opening the door wider.

"Yeah, I....well, actually I came to Natasha's house because I knew she could tell me where you were, but...I guess I found you here," Steve smiled his award-winning smile, and Bucky almost swooned. Almost.

"Yeah, you found me. Tasha and I are roommates," he informed Steve, whose eyebrows drew together in confusion but he ended up just nodding, not wanting to push the subject. Bucky was grateful for that.

A moment of awkward silence hovered in the air between the two, and Steve blew out a breath, rocking on his heels. Bucky glanced back into the house, where Tasha was waving madly and gesturing towards the unfinished pizza sitting on the island.

Bucky's eyes widened and he shook his head rapidly, silently telling her there was no way in hell he was inviting Steve into the house for–

"Hey Steve, you want some pizza?" Tasha called out, making Bucky's eyes bug out of his head. He mouthed 'fuck you' to her before turning back to Steve with a fake smile, hoping he'd say no, praying he'd just say no–

"Sure, why not?" He leaned down and checked his watch before smiling up at Bucky again. This time, Bucky did swoon. "I've gotta meet Sam in a little bit, but I'm sure I could sneak in a slice or two," he joked, waiting for Bucky to step aside before coming inside the house.