06: Bad Temper

I scribbled on the paper in front of me. I wasn't making any noises, but my lips were moving slightly as I re-read my writing. I spun my pen between my fingers as I proceeded to correct any necessary portion.

"This is why people use laptops, Princess." I looked up at the big screen and he continued, "So that they don't have to cut out every two sentences. You can just backspace it." He demonstrated using his own laptop. If that smile came from anyone else, I probably would have taken some time to compliment it. Instead, I lowered my eyes back on the notebook.

I am currently in the boardroom in a video call with Alpha Zonarus. Matteo and Jaquelin were asleep like any other reasonable person on the premises. Due to the time difference between territories and the pretentious Royal Alpha's busy schedule this was the only available time he had. I am a well known night owl so my brother didn't even hesitate before he asked me to set up a meeting with Zonarus to go over the Byd gate resolution. That meant, even though the local time is five in the morning, I am stuck here. 

The past three days I didn't get much sleep. The day before yesterday I had stayed up all night because I was with Astrid and Kay enjoying our sleepover at my place. Yesterday was chaotic due to some incidents near the borders and by the time that was resolved, it was time for me to lead a scheduled special night training. 

And today I am blessed with the opportunity to be in the presence of a god. The god of imbeciles who cannot tolerate silence. He just has to talk. While his topic of conversations were rather interesting and light-hearted, I was not receiving it kindly. If I said that I was easily agitated today then it would be an understatement. Sleep deprivation mixed with my dislike for him in general made his attempt at being playful rather annoying. 

"I like writing on paper," I answered blandly.

I suppressed a yawn and stood up to stretch. It has already been an hour since the one-on-one meeting started and unfortunately for me, we had another hour scheduled. But I can bet anything that Zonarus was having a field day. He always pretended to have a great time whenever I am around, knowingly full well that it irked me which ofcourse was the real reason he was happy to spend time with me. Matteo once told me that I was too used to seeing him through my 'hate glasses' and so I always refused to believe that he was ever being genuine towards me. While that was a possibility, it was highly unlikely.

I used my hair tie to put my balayage purple-colored hair in a tiny ponytail. Due to my hair being neck-length, most of it refused to be tied back in the ponytail. Frustrated I decided to give up and just let the stray hairs fall on my face.

"Violet," I was almost startled when Zonarus called me by my proper name. I was so used to him addressing me as 'princess' that I forgot how my name sounded on his lips. It resembled the sound on a soothing tune. I shook my head in hopes that my lingering thought of his lips and voice would dissapear from my mind. I was annoyed at myself, but I chose to snap at him instead, "what do you want, Alpha Zonarus?"

"We can reschedule to a time when it is more convenient for you," I looked at him, trying to read his expression. His face was neutral, it was an expression we both had perfected. However, the skill of mine somehow always faltered in front of him when my overwhelming annoyance gave away how I truly felt. Although this time, I wasn't annoyed, I was confused. Why would he want to reschedule after making such a big deal about the matter? Previously, he had refused my brother's suggestion for Zonarus's beta to be present instead of him. He went on about how it was crucial that he himself had to be present and the only available time he had was during this time of day.

"I am fine, I am just irritated because of my hair," I informed him trying to ease his sudden concern. Through the screen, I could see his amusement as he tried to hide his smile behind his laptop.