16: Pop Style

A bond between soulmates is sacred. After the marking process is complete, when the bond is sealed, soulmates have a very strong understanding of each other. Some of the perks of the bond are the ability to share thoughts even without a mind-link ritual and the ability to share each other's strong emotions whether it is love or pain. There is a downside to the latter ability when one soulmate dies. The chances of the other to follow the same fate is extremely likely. 

Much like how the bond makes both people stronger, it weakens the person when their soulmate dies and they don't. The ability of werewolves to age slower after the age of eighteen often makes people think that we are immortals, even when we are not. That ability is lost by the mate that survived and they start to follow the laws of nature of humans. The surviving werewolf will age faster to join their other half sooner, if no other circumstances get to them first.

Both my parents had an untimely death. However, they died almost two years apart from each other. My mother, Aria, provided us with our Royal and Italian heritage. She used to be the Alpha of the Valentino pack. She made sure that from a young age we were prepared to tackle situations that would have been otherwise reserved for werewolves who were more experienced. My brother and I were trained thoroughly every since we were able to shift. Before that, we learned other forms of combats and strategy planning. Matteo and I were addressed as the prodigy twins in many occasions. Of course, we milked that name to our advantage as teenagers, but due to our royal status, we were generously forgiven for our endless pranks.

On Matteo and my seventeenth birthday, our mother was killed. I was with my father at the time and when I saw him collapse on the floor, I knew that something had gone horribly wrong. 

To assume a titled position in a pack, a werewolf has to be at least eighteen years old, as that is around the time we stopped ageing at the same pace as humans. Back then, it didn't cross my mind for a second that my brother and I did not meet the requirement yet to take the position of the Royal Alpha. Fortunately, my father survived.

As the Luna, and due to it being one of the special circumstances, he assumed the position of Royal Alpha temporarily. I remember how much he tried to seem fine in front of us, but the reality of the situation was quite different. My father lost the love of his life and if that wasn't bad enough, he was under constant scrutiny for pathetic reasons. They made bogus reasons to dismiss his decisions even though he was more than capable of being the acting Alpha. 

Every decision he took would be under question, regardless of how much it benefited the pack and the royal region. It was the most painful year. I remember how relieved our father was once Matteo took over, but the worse was yet to come. With his soulmate gone, he had already started to age like a human. He passed away before I became the Beta of the pack. He didn't live long enough to see us figure out who instigated the attack on his soulmate. It was like he was holding on till Matteo became Alpha, after that he just gave up on living. My father powered through until he reached his goal and if nothing else, I am my father's daughter.

I closed my eyes shut to brace myself for the next wave to hit. I have been able to keep myself from making any noise so far. I didn't want to give the Elder the satisfaction of seeing me scream in pain. On my right was the spectacle room. Even though I couldn't see anyone through the mirrored glass, I refused to face that way. My head was tilted to my left and my hands were balled into a fist. With every wave, the pain increased and it looked like I would have to give in to my agony soon.

A cold breeze brushed against my skin. It was welcoming as it made the sweat droplets on my forehead cooler. It was odd considering the room didn't have the facilities for that. I heard a gentle whisper next to my ear. I couldn't make sense of it, but I had the familiar feeling of being called. I tilted my head backward when a shiver ran down my spine. It spread across my entire body and left me with a feeling of comfort. Pop.