9. Challenging

Nathan

Nice try, pretty boy! I am this close to shouting out as Stig is walking to the pool bar with that girl. And by the look Ava throws at him, she is not buying it either. This is all a show meant for a specific audience. Me.

I know it must be hard being gay amongst all these buff, macho men, but him putting on the show is not just to protect his privacy. He is trying to drive me away. Which is probably the best idea. So, all I need to do is get back on track, do what I came here to do, get him to help out and then - poof - be gone like the morning mist cause he is starting to get on my nerves.

"Tell Stig he knows how to find me when he is done," I throw at Ava and gather my things.

"You are leaving so early?" Ava says over-sweetly.

"I got some shit to do," I growl to warn her off.

She raises her hands in surrender but that smile stays in place. Drop it, I warn her and I am glad to see that she got the message. I rush into the pool house and change into my clothes. With a little bit more frustration than I was meant to have just because someone is putting up a charade to hide what he truly wants. His funeral.

And yet, when I go out, I can't help but look at him, still in that skin-tight bathing suit, still pretending that he is enjoying the company of that random girl.

His pretty head turns and he looks my way. In his eye, I see that he knows I am pissed at him and he is quite happy with himself. I am too old and my life is too difficult already for this kind of shit. I came here to have Ava help me. I know Ava. Ava is a friend and she is... well, she is a woman aka NOT a distraction. This was all a mistake.

I go to Ava that stands to greet me. Her look is serious which means she knows I am not in the mood.

"You are leaving, right?" Ava asks. "For good, I mean. Look, if you need help, I can-"

"It's fine. I'll deal with it."

"I know." Her look is almost sad. "You will deal with this. Alone."

What the hell is this shit she is giving me?

"Damn right, Ava. I will deal with it alone."

"I remember those times," Ava says unfazed. "But trust me, Nat. You can't keep going like this."

Fuck her and her perfect life with her perfect husband and her perfect daughter!

"Watch me!" I growl and make a move to leave.

"Not so fast!" Ava grabs me and hugs me.

That hug mellows a bit of the bitterness in my mouth. Ava's life was far from perfect. Way too far. She was even more of a lone wolf that I am. But she found the one thing we were both missing and didn't know: love.

I hug her back and close my eyes at the contact. I hate her. I hate her because she is right. It's so damn easy to be alone. I go, I come, I work, I eat, I sleep, I work again. So easy and so... empty. Empty and pointless and aimless. And all that became so fucking clear when I saw Ava with her family. Ava who I thought was a kindred lone spirit. But she was a shadow before. Now I see it. Now she is truly alive. And she is hugging a shadow.

"I have to go," I say and push her slightly away.

"You don't have to," Ava says smiling sadly.

My eyes drift to the other side of the pool, to Stig still talking to that girl. Though his attention seems to be on me and Ava. And he scowls.

"I really have to," I say to Ava and all but run out of the escort.

I reach the door and make plans on what to do now. Not with my life, that ship has sailed. With the case. I still need help but I am not going to risk my sanity looking for it by-