27. Distracting

Nathan

"Hey, uhm..." I hear a voice right behind me. "I think he is trying-"

I turn my head over my shoulder and look at the man daring to interrupt me.

"I mean, you want him to talk, right?" The man dares.

"Do you know what I need?" I growl.

"No, not me, man!" He shakes his hands and his handcuffs jingle.

"Then shut the fuck up!"

I turn to the man I am holding and raise my fist.

"Please, please, stop. OK OK. I will tell you what you need, just please stop!"

Minutes after I get out of the abandoned home I have used wiping my hands off the blood. Fuck! I got some on my shirt, I curse. I take the thing off and throw it in a metallic bin and set it on fire while checking if my t-shirt has any blood on it. Watching the fire, I take out my phone and dial the number of my current employer.

"I have what you need," I hiss in the phone. "I will send it to you through the usual channels AFTER I see my money."

I hang up not waiting for a response. When my phone blasts again, I feel even more pissed.

"I said AFTER I get my money!"

"Like every professional prostitute, man, but I am not used to paying for sex," a voice jokes.

I frown at first but then I hear the slight accent on that voice.

"Tor," I say coldly.

"Nathan."

"What do you want?" I attack.

I got nothing with the man personally despite the fact he is an annoying cockblocking asshole but him calling reminds me... No!

"We had a deal, man. I let you play with Stig, you do a little something for me."

My fists tighten and I squeeze my eyes together. "Play with Stig". I have so many emotions in me right now, I want to scream. They all assault me at the same time. I am angry. Angry at him for talking about Stig as if he is a thing, a tool. Angry with Stig for leaving without a single goodbye. Angry at me for allowing myself falling for a guy I knew would leave and rather be alone than talk the truth about who he really is.

Even so, above all things, I am desolate. I am exactly like the building I am in, empty and bleak. I might have been like this before I met Stig, but I hadn't realized it. Now, all is tasteless, my body lifeless. Nothing matters if he is not here. I should have known the joke I started on Stig would be on me.

It's been weeks since I woke up only to find the bed empty. Weeks since I went downstairs thinking that I would find him failing at making pancakes. When I didn't find him, it took me several minutes before I went to check his room. I wanted to just hold onto the hope that he went out, buy us breakfast or some shit.

I had to bite down my bitterness as I dragged my legs upstairs to face what I expected to find. An empty room. He was gone. Without a goodbye, he sneaked out as if I was some clingy girlfriend that would ask him when she would meet his parents.

I know that that look scared him as it did me. I know it was more than a fuck for him. I know it meant more to him. Just not enough to show who he really is. Not enough to face his brothers and tell them he is gay. Especially Tor. Which reminds me...

"I am onto it," I say to Tor.

"You sure? You in Berkeley?"

I chuckle. I will never set foot there. Never.