Chapter 9

Hermione's P.O.V

There's something not right about the exchange students. All wizard schools have to wear robes and I've never heard of "Hecate's School for the Magically Gifted" and I know for a fact that the grading system in America isn't so different that it would cause such an age gap.

We walked out of Ancient Runes to see Percy sitting against the wall by the door. He looked up and smiled at us.

"Ready to go? I'm starving." He said.

We both nodded and we walked down to the great hall together. When we got there a lot of people stared at Annabeth. Everyone was used to Percy by now and in a few days they would be used to Annabeth.

Ron's P.O.V

Harry and I were the first ones of the group to arrive at the great hall. We hadn't seen any sight of Percy during free period but I haven't a clue anywhere else he would've been.

"Where do you think they are? They should be here by now." Harry asked.

His question was answered because not a minute later Percy, Hermione, and Annabeth walked into the Great Hall.

They saw us walked over to where we were. They sat down across from us and started loading putting food in their plates.

"Where were you during free period, Percy?" Harry asked.

"I waited outside of Ancient Runes for Annabeth." He answered. "And Hermione."

I nodded, distracted by the platter of chicken wings in front of me. As I started to enjoy my delicious meal Hermione looked at me, rather my food, in disgust. She sniffed and turned to her plate, which she filled with the minimum amount of food necessary to keep her from starving.

Annabeth picked up on Hermione's attitude and looked at her with concern. "What's wrong Hermione?" She asked.

"Oh nothing, nothing just that this food is made from slave labor." She said.

Harry and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes. Annabeth glanced down at the Pizza that was about to enter her mouth then dropped it onto her plate with a loud clatter.

Percy nodded at spoke up. "Yeah, there are these things called house elves in the kitchens that clean and cook and they don't even get paid, or get holidays off. Not even Christmas!" He added that last part as if it was a bigger injustice than slave labor.

"Yeah, but they don't want pay or holidays. They love their work and making them take a day off is like torture to them." Harry added.

"Don't you have house elves in America?" Hermione curiously asked.

"Um, no. We're real big on freedom in America." Annabeth said. She then quickly changed courses. "Hermione, I know what it's like to not have a choice, to get your freedom taken from you and that's not the case with the house elves. While I agree with you and think they should get some form of pay and have vacations they are making to clear choice to do what they do. Professor Dumbledore doesn't seem like the type of man to keep them here against their will. So if you had to pick a place for them I would pick here because it seems like they get a better deal here then at other places, like choosing the lesser of evils."

Hermione nodded. "But choosing the lesser of evils is still evil." She said softly.

Percy and Annabeths faces darkened. "We know, but sometimes that's the only choice you get." The moment was over quickly so I'm not even sure it happened.

"Give her a button." Percy said, easing the mood.

Hermione grinned at pulled out a shiny S.P.E.W badge that was in the pocket of her robe and handed it to a smiling Annabeth. She pinned it on the strap of her bag.

We sat in silence for a while, dedicating the time to eating. Annabeth had continued on her pizza and she was on her 6th slice. I was impressed, she could hold her own. Percy better hold on to that one.

Hermione broke the silence. "Annabeth, in Ancient Runes you said you lived with Percy." It was a statement not a question.

I looked at them in shock.

They nodded as if nothing weird was going on. "Sure did." Annabeth said.

Their casualty shocked me. "But you're too young!" Harry exclaimed.

Percy looked up from his cheeseburger. "In America it's common for young couples to move in together." He explained.

We accepted that explanation but it was still a little scandalous.

People around us started to get up, signaling that it was about time for class to start.

We quickly finished our food and got up and walked together to our next class.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this was a really short chapter but I was eager to publish it.

The good news is that the glitch is fixed!!!! But in doing so the chapter got deleted so I had to start from scratch.

I am so thankful for you guys and for your support. I'm so happy you like my story, it's because of you guys I write, I shit you not. I love you guys!

I would like you to remember that at the end of each chapter you can ask me and the characters questions and I'll post the answers at the end of the next chapter.

Please tell me things you would like to add or take away from the story. I would be happy to collaborate with you guys and explain why I put certain things in.