Chapter 24 - The Picture

Autumn

5:00am.

The sun rose up in to the sky, like a flower blooming. Its hues of orange, yellow, and blushing pink painted the entire sky. As the sun rose from the shadows of earth, birds chirped in sync. Golden light radiating off the sun passed through my blinds and into my room. My eyes fluttered open when the light shined on my eyes.

The first thought that came to mind was Ryder.

Grabbing my pillow, I put it over my face and groaned.

Why do I always think about him? It's going to drive me crazy! Can't I just take a break from all the thinking?

I found out that keeping inside the fact that I like Ryder has made me like him more and more each day.

My denial is not as strong as my liking towards Ryder and if I don't figure out how to control these "feelings" towards him, I might explode.

Literally explode.

Standing up, I walked into my bathroom and looked in the mirror. I rolled my eyes when I got a good look at my bird nest-like hair.

Taking a brush to my hair, I grumbled in defeat when the brush couldn't comb through my tangled locks. "Why do I always have the worst of lu-''

"How many times have you abused her?" A robotic voice said from downstairs.

My eyebrows rose in confusion and intriguement. "What the hell?" I whispered and tip-toed to the staircase railing.

From where I could see, Michael was sitting at the kitchen bar with both hands holding a beer can. On the counter was his phone.

"I abused her five times this week, Luke." My father answered the person who was on speaker phone.

I cupped my hand on my mouth to prevent a gasp.

Luke?! Why is he talking to Luke?

"Good. Keep it up but try to do it more often if you want to receive more money, Michael."

My eyes widened in realization.

So this is what Luke meant by how he was going to make my life hell, even if he couldn't do it himself. He pays my father to abuse me.

Just hearing this conversation between the two of them makes me want to puke. I can't believe my father would be willing to beat me in order to receive some cash to pay for his alcohol.

A tear escaped my eye when I made the conclusion that no matter how hard I tried to get Luke out of my life, — with the restraining order — he still managed to ruin me.

My body felt limp and my legs gave out. I collapsed to the ground and many tears fell. I hate crying, I absolutely hate it but right now it feels like it's the only thing I can do.

"Remember," Luke said from the phone and my head perked up, "if she finds out about this and tells the police, I will have people murder you and her. Don't let her find out."

That's it. I have to leave this place. I can't live with my father who is paid to abuse me by the guy who sexually abused me. I don't care if I have to live out on the streets I just can't bare to live with this monster for one more second.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

I jumped in suprise but picked up my phone in a heartbeat.

"Hello?"

"Autumn? If you're available, can you come over and help me with something?" Ryder asked.