Chapter 31 - Bad Things Happen to Good People

Autumn

Throughout my time spent in New York I have asked Taylor, my friend from school, to check up on my mom occasionally. My mother isn't sick or anything like that, it's just I want to make sure she is safe when she is at home. I want her to be protected from my father and everything that could harm her while I'm away.

So far my mom has been okay safely at the house, but I obviously know she leaves when my drunk dad gets home at night.

The whole trip I didn't have to worry about my mom because Taylor said she's okay.

But today was different.

"What do you mean she's gone?" I asked Taylor from across the phone, worry filled my every word.

"I went to your house multiple times today to check if she was there, and she hasn't been there since yesterday. Everytime I call, it goes to voicemail."

Head in my hands, I rested on the edge of my bed and sighed, "her phone must be dead. But she never leaves the house without charging it. Something is wrong, very wrong."

"Don't worry so much, Autumn. I called the police. They are searching for her as we speak."

"Thank you, Taylor. Thank you." I was so thankful for Taylor at this moment. Thank god she stayed home instead of coming on the trip with us to New York.

"Autumn..." she said warningly. "There's something you should know."

The serious tone in her voice sent the hairs on my arms straight up.

"Last night, I was going to check your house again when I heard screaming come from inside the house — it sounded like your mothers voice."

My hand cupped my mouth. Silence fell from both ends of the phone.

"...I think...someone took her." Taylor whispered, careful not to cause me anxiety or worry.

My hands shook. "Oh my god..." I whispered, the earthquakes in my voice cracked. It was hard to speak, let alone hard to listen.

"Something wrong?" Ryder sat beside me, wrapping his arm around me. He had just gotten out from doing his hair in the bathroom.

I held up index finger up to silence him, and pressed the phone even closer up against my ear.

"D-Do you think it was Michael?"

"Possibly. If it was a break in, then I'm guessing the windows would be broken or the lock on the door would be broken, but it's not. Nothing is shattered or damaged, so either the front door was unlocked or someone had a key." Taylor informed me, making me imagine my father abusing my mother like he abuses me.

Ryder massaged circles on my back, which calmed me down a little.

"Also," Taylor added, "I checked the hotel your mom goes to everytime your dad comes home, and she wasn't there. Apparently, according to the workers at the hotel, she hasn't been there in a couple weeks."

My hands ruffled my hair in stress. "He probably got home at a time she happened to be there and took her, that's what I'm guessing."

"Yeah but...why?" Taylor curiously asked.

"I don't know I-''

A lightbulb went off in my head, like I just cracked the code to the impossible.

Luke. It has to be Luke. He must be using my mom as leverage.

"Thank you Taylor for all your help. Please call me if you find anything else."