Chapter 32 - We Meet Again

AUTHORS NOTE: Wow, it took me almost FIVE HOURS to write & edit this chapter. This chapter came out a long time after the last chapter due to my focus on the other romance books I'm writing atm. Idk wether I should publish them as I'm writing this book or wait till I'm done, so I've been trying to figure that out for the last couple weeks. Thanks for waiting patiently for this chapter. I hope you enjoy!

Autumn

Do we get to choose the life we live? Does someone choose for us, or is it merely fate that decides what happens in our every move?

Whatever it is, I got the worst of it.

I held my phone up to my ear and listened to the voicemail.

"Autumn, it's your mother. I-I'm sorry I haven't been a good mother lately; like leaving you when your f-father abused you. I should have stayed by your side. I wish I could make it up to you somehow but unfortunately, I can't. Please don't look for me. Luke has taken me hostage and said once you have no one left, you won't think there's anything to l-live for."

I paused the voicemail, feeling weak at the sound of her scared, fragile voice.

I was right, I should have never went to New York. If I didn't go, my mother would be okay because I have a restraining order against Luke, so he would not be able to hurt my mom as long as I'm around.

But since I left, it gave him a chance to take her.

As long as I'm alive, there will always be a chance of the police knowing what he did to me. Besides the money, he was hoping Michael would abuse me to the point where I can't take it anymore and...

...and kill myself.

He really wants me dead this badly, huh.

Shaky thumb, I resumed the voicemail.

"If Luke kills me, I just want you to know that I love you so much, Autumn. Never forget that."

Oh mom....I'm so sorry.

Her voicemail was the last memory of New York I had before I got onto the plane that would take me home.

The whole plane ride home I held Ryder's hand. I was so anxious to get off the plane and see my mother, where ever she is.

I hope she's safe. I hope she's okay.

"I need to call Luke." I told Ryder as he drove us home from the airport. I thought the traffic would lessen since it's late at night, but the roads were still crowded which made me stress even more. Even though I was freaking out about my mom, my breathing was steady at the feel of Ryder's hand in mine as we drove down the freeway.

Ryder's hand tensed up. "Autumn, you can't. Best chance is the guy will threaten you, forcing you to hand yourself over to him."

"He can't make me see him, I have a restraining order."

"Doesn't mean he won't break it," Ryder argued. But he was right – who knows how rebellious Luke has become and decides to break it. He sighed, "seems like this guy will do anything to destroy you and everything you care about."

I thought about my mom. It's working...

"Then what the hell do I do, Ryder? He's going to kill her just to get to me." My eyes teared up at all the scenarios of ways he could torture and kill her.

Ryder was silent. He watched the road carefully as he exited the freeway. His hand on the steering wheel tightened.

When we got to a stop light, he lowered his head. "I-I can't loose you. I know it's your mom but if Luke ask for you, I might loose it. God, I can't have anything bad happen to you."