Chapter 21

Maria POV

*

I'm so excited. For the past few weeks the construction on my restaurant has been going great. No snags or anything. If the weather and everything keeps up I'll be ready for business before Thanksgiving! The problem is the sign. Mainly because I can't think of a name. I can't think of a name because I honestly don't know what all I'll be serving. My phone started ringing. It was Dallas. "CVS pharmacy," I answered.

"Haha very funny," he said. "You mind if I bring KJ over there for Santi and Harmony. He's been grumpy these past few weeks."

"No it's okay." Well maybe Dallas can help with this. Funny how I built an entire restaurant and have yet to build a menu. Smh. I went to the kitchen to check on the food. It smelled fantástico. Five minutes later there was a knock on the door. "Who is it?"

"Dallas." Damn nigga must've been hitting NASCAR speed the whole way.

"You got here quick. It's open."

"We were already on our way." KJ looked really grumpy. "Say hi."

"Hey KJ," I smiled at him.

"Hi," he looked at me like he wanted me dead. Excuse me.

"Go play outside with Santi and Harmony." He glared at me the whole way out. "I don't know what's gotten into that boy. He's had an attitude the last couple of weeks."

"It's probably school. Hungry?"

"For your cooking? Always. What is it? Smells really good."

"Carne guisada puertorriqueña. Puerto Rican beef stew." He got himself a bowl and sat down in the living room. "I'm glad you're here actually. I need some help with a menu and name for my restaurant."

"How you build the place and ain't got no food or name yet?"

"Boy the food and name has nothing to do with how it'll look. Now help me. I don't know what I want to serve. And I have to come up with a name soon so they can make the sign."

"I see your dilemma."

"Help me negro." He laughed. "You're no help."

"Well what are you looking to serve?"

"I don't know. But I know I want something unique. There's nothing but fast foods and buffets around here. Anybody can make what they make in there. I want something not everybody can eat on a daily basis. A family type of feel to it but elegant at the same time. Something that's sort of me you know?" he thought about it.

"What about this?" he pointed to the stew. "Remember our first time in Puerto Rico together? All the food was great and you cooked it with the best of them. Why don't you do a Puerto Rican themed restaurant?"

"That actually doesn't sound half bad." How many Puerto Rican restaurants out there? I mean our food is much like other Spanish cuisines but everyone has a special way of making it. I can ask abuela to send me her personal recipe books. Yes!!! Why didn't I think of this? "Now I need a name." This is gonna be hard.

"Something to match what you're serving." We sat there for a while trying to come up with a name. "Damn this is hard. What about Maria's kitchen? No, Puerto Rican Cuisines."

"Hmm," I thought about it. "Maria's Kitchen? Sounds good. Straight to the point. I love it!"

"I should be getting a cut for my assistance."

"Get a cut of this dick." He glared at me. "Eat your soup puto." I heard what sounded like screaming. I jumped up and ran outside. Harmony was on the ground balling and Santi was fighting KJ. What the hell happened?