Cover girls don't cry

The evening was perfect for Hadeza. She never for once in her life thought she would play the piano in an opera filled with hundreds of people watching.

The front row in the audience was occupied by big dignitaries while the sits in backs were occupied by Hadeza's family and few of her friends and classmates. She had invited them to watch her perform in the opera.

Hadeza thought she'd miss a key on the keyboard as she played on the wide stage. Her blue evening gown felt really tight at her back and her shoes were crushing together but fumbling wasn't a choice, not in front of her friends or worse, her mother. She hummed the keys of the song she played so she wouldn't miss a key.

"Your daughter plays beautifully" Principal Jackson said to Cathay as he was seated beside her.

"I know" Cathay replied in a boastful voice.

Even though the stage was covered in pitch darkness and only the spotlight centered on her. Hadeza could see Eve standing at the backstage recording her perform with a digital camera. She watched the video after her performance. Cathay was the first to applaud her before everyone followed with a standing ovation.

"Where were you, Zee?" Eve asked Hadeza as she escorted her backstage.

Hadeza laughed and sat on a chair. "What do you mean?"

"You were out of touch with reality. It like you were in another world entirely" Eve said proudly.

Hadeza wished her piano teacher Chioma was part of the audience to see her performance but she had given an excuse that she was leaving for her hometown.

Hadeza became more bothered because Alex, the person closest to her, didn't she show up. She had glanced at the seat she reserved for him once in a while as she performed, hoping he would come but he didn't. She got annoyed when she saw Milan of all people in the audience.

Hadeza never waited to walk with her friends after school. She disliked the idea of hanging out in school after classes had ended for the day. She stormed out of her physics class immediately it ended. She was stopped by Milan on her way to her locker.

"Hey Zee!" Milan said in a friendly tone.

Hadeza paused and stared at Milan with a eyes that could rip dry paint off the wall.She wondered why Milan was acting all friendly towards her.

Milan giggled. "You did great, Williams"

Hadeza still looked confused. "What?" She muttered. "You have to stop, Milan" She said strongly.

Milan stuttered. "The compliments or what?"

Hadeza took a deep breath and decided to let it all out. "You and I are not friends. We haven't been friends since sixth grade. So quit the act, Milan" She growled loudly, drawing the attention of other students that passed by.

Milan squeezed her face sadly and stared at Hadeza disappointed. "I'm just being honest"

Hadeza laughed hysterically. "God kill me! You and I both know you're not honest. Lie to my face again and I'll bash your head on that locker like I did in sixth grade!" She yelled.

More students stopped to see what Hadeza and Milan's argument was about.

Milan was embarrassed by the way Hadeza had raised her voice at her and rejected her compliment. She held back her tears because crying wasn't a beautiful sight for an average girl like herself. "Hadeza don't do this" She said under her lips.

"Do what? Embarrass you?" Hadeza chuckled. "I have every right to, Milan. You made my life a living hell for four years straight since the very first day I stepped foot into this school. Four years!" Hadeza waved four fingers in front of Milan rudely. She had no idea Eve and Alex were standing in the crowd watching her.