An unexpected reunion

"I am the backbone of this family!" Ma Kesem said in a hoarse voice from the kitchen as she argued with Aisha. She was getting old, yet she never stopped picking arguments with Aisha or Fatima. Aisha felt that was how Ma Kesem expressed her love to her children.

Fatima avoided staying at home so she wouldn't get involved in an argument with Ma Kesem. Aisha was twenty-three, so she ought to keep Ma Kesem company at home since she was the eldest. She suggested Aisha should spend more time with Ma Kesem now that she was a graduate of college.

Today, Ma Kesem was actually flaring up because she was tired of having Aisha doing nothing at home all day.

Aisha stood by the door of the kitchen, wearing a white kimono under her black t-shirt and a tight pair of jeans that stopped right above her knees. She lashed at Ma Kesem whenever she said something mean as they argued.

"Lol, then I must be the asshole of the family then," Fatima said sarcastically as she was leaving the kitchen with a bowl of cereal.

Ma Kesem gave Fatima a stern look as she left the kitchen.

"You're an adult now, Aisha. You ought to be living off your own income and not mine, " Ma Kesem said.

Aisha tilted her head to the back. Her long curly hair bounced at the back of her head like a giant sponge that could absorb half the water in a pool. "But you have a job, Ma Kesem. You went to college, and we're living okay from your job. "

Ma Kesem dropped the dough she was massaging on the wooden tray and stared at Aisha. "I sent you to school so you can get a better job than mine so you can earn enough money to take care of yourself and this family." She smirked as she said.

Aisha kept mute as Ma Kesem had made a valid point. "Where will I get a job as a firm lawyer?" She asked herself.

"This isn't Nigeria, Aisha. They're jobs everywhere in this part of the world. Unemployment is a choice here, " Ma Kesem groaned.

"It is?" Fatima asked.

Aisha sighed. "Fine, I'll get a job. It's not like I'll get paid enough. "

"Your first job is a head-start before you get paid enough,"

"A head start as a white collar slave, huh!" Aisha said to herself before she left for her room. Though what she said sounded offensive to Ma Kesem but she didn't care. It's not like Ma Kesem was a civil servant or something.

After weeks of searching for a job, Aisha finally landed a job interview in a big housing company in the city. She had Fatima follow her to the company. Fatima gave her tips on what to say and how to comfort herself during the interview. She listened closely to everything Fatima said as she wasn't ready to mess this up. Aisha led the way while Fatima walked beside her as they both stepped inside the company's building.

Fatima was really amazed by the architectural design of the five-story building.

Aisha walked boldly to the receptionist and said she's here for an interview as the firm lawyer.

The receptionist was a young man. He looked at Aisha and Fatima and smiled at them like he already knew who they were. "Is this your friend?" He asked Aisha as pointed at Fatima.

Aisha looked at Fatima. "She's my sister, actually," She replied.

The receptionist squeezed his lips. He thought Aisha was Hadeza. His boss's daughter. "An interview with who, ma'am?" He asked sarcastically, wondering why Hadeza would come to seek a job in her mother's company.

Aisha looked confused. "The interview is by twelve, and I'm to meet a Mr. Stephen Queen on the fourth floor"

The receptionist chuckled and dialled Mr. Stephen's office line on the intercom, but the call was forwarded to the company's CEO, Mrs. Cathay Williams. "Sorry to disturb you, but your daughter is here. She said she is to see Mr. Stephen and unfortunately, he isn't in his office at the moment. " The receptionist gave Aisha a thumbs up.