• t w e n t y - f i v e •

"you find her?" luke's voice was soft, and michael felt himself growing stronger at his friends presence

"you find her?" luke's voice was soft, and michael felt himself growing stronger at his friends presence. he took a deep breath, shaking his head. looking around the crowd, michael's eyes lit up when he spotted something.

"i've got it," he spoke strongly, a hint of amusement in his voice as he pushed past luke, running towards a tree outside the café.

luke, who was extremely confused by his friends change in mood, raised an eyebrow. "well maybe you could share with the class !" he yelled to the crowd of people that michael had disappeared into. luke groaned when he thought about how much ashton was going to shout at him for finding michael but then losing him again.

his phone began to ring in his hand and luke contemplated declining ashton's call. he played the scenario out in his head, planning his move to brazil, where ashton would never find him. after a few minutes of imagining life in the favelas of rio, luke realised that ashton wasn't going to stop calling him until he answered.

sliding his finger across the screen, luke quickly began to speak. "look, before you say anything, i had him-- and i know he's emotionally fucked right now but i-- i did have him, i swear !"

but all ashton said was, "look at the tree by the water."

luke's eyes lifted up, scanning the vicinity for anything that stood out, anything that could be what ashton wanted him to see--

"is that . . . ?"

"yes."

"well fuck me."

***

michael had never felt this nervous before a show.

he'd never felt this nervous before singing.

he'd never felt this nervous ever.

his fingers were white from the tight grip he had on the mic he had borrowed from the nice lady who had been busking. her mic was attached to a large speaker and all michael could do was hope that eleana was somewhere nearby.

or that she just had very very good hearing.

he took a deep breath before speaking slowly, "hi uhh . . . my name is michael and i wanna sing a song for a girl."

his eyes met calum's in the front row, who was smiling and shaking his head at his friend.

"lame !" he heard luke's unmistakable voice call out from somewhere near the back.

michael's lips twitched into a smile, and ashton's thumbs up from beside calum was all the encouragement he needed.

"eleana, if you're here, this is for you."

and so it was that michael clifford from that australian band sang chasing cars by snow patrol in the middle of london. the reporters who were trying to explain it didn't really know how to make sense of it. the band's management didn't get it either. the audience were obviously happy, but they didn't know why it had happened.

the only people who did know, were ashton irwin, calum hood, luke hemmings, michael clifford and the small blonde haired girl in a pink leather jacket that emerged from the front of the crowd by the end of the song.

━━ T H E E N D