Part 6

"Why so dolled up?" Adri asked as Cinder walked into the house.
     "I have a date in a few minutes."
     "You, a date? Please." Pearl scoffed at her.
    "Really? The news hasn't gotten to you yet?" Cinder asked sitting down on a bar stool.
    "What news?" Pearl leaned across the table.
    "Well now I like this game." Cinder laughed before taking her phone out to check the time.
   12:50.
   Cinder groaned.
    "Well, I am a  little amazed you got yourself a date." Adri laughed from the kitchen.
    Cinder looked at Adri. She was never really evil towards her, but she definitely was... is not the best mother towards her; or Peony for that fact.
   Before Cinder could say anything else two knocks sounded at the door.
   "I'll get it." Pearl shot up. "I want to see who your mystery man is."
    "Whatever." Cinder stood not long after her and followed her trail.
   "Oh my stars! Kai, what are you doing here?" Pearl asked.
    Cinder turned the corner, blocking her left hand with her right one.
   "I'm here for my date." Kai smiled across Pearl's shoulder to Cinder.
   Kai wore a simple suit and tie, he some how made it seem like the most elegant outfit.
   "Well, um bye." Cinder said as she raced out the door.
   "You look beautiful." Kai bent down to say in her ear.
   Cinder felt chills run down her back as they walked towards his car. As they walked down the driveway, Cinder felt two pairs of eyes locked on their backs, apparently Kai did too because he then placed his hand on the small of her back.
    "You don't look too bad yourself. I hope this is fancy enough." Cinder looked up at him.
    "It's perfect." He smiled to her as he opened her door.
    Kai got in on the driver side soon after and started the car.
   "So do tell where we are going." Cinder asked as she settled in.
    "It's a surprise." Kai looked over at her. "And we are going to be driving for awhile so get comfortable."
   "Ok so awhile like driving from Bakersfield to Lancaster while or driving from here to Las Vegas while."
    "Um... how about from home sweet Bakersfield to San Francisco..." Kai said sheepishly.
   "San Francisco!" Cinder shot up, hitting her head on the low ceiling.
    "Yeah, I am taking you out for dinner, not Lunch. But we can stop for Taco Bell or something but yeah."
    "Um dude we are gonna get back at like three in the morning!" Cinder shot back at him.
    "Oh stars. Did I forget to tell you to pack an overnight bag." Kai laughed nervously at her.
    "Like hell you did!" Cinder yelled.
    "Oops."
    "Oops? Really?" Cinder glared at him. "What are we going to do in San Francisco anyway?"
    "I'm going to buy you a prom dress." Kai smiled widely at her.
    "No, I can provide my own dress thank you very much." Cinder buried herself in the plush seat.
    "No, this is a present from me. Annnd, you do not need to get me anything."
    "Oh I'm getting you something." Cinder laughed. "Dinner at I am assuming a very expensive restaurant and I am assuming a dress from a very expensive shop. You gettin something boy."
     (Thought I should say that my kitten feel asleep on my back and now I have very restricted movement)
    "It's fine, don't worry about it." Kai smiled at her.
    "What about your dad's medical bills? They are going to be really expensive." Cinder looked at him.
    "We have been setting money aside for years on medical expenses." Kai said.
    "So?" Cinder scoffed.
    "Listen Cinder, my dad has his million dollar corporation. We are unbelievably well off and I am allowed to throw money at my fake girlfriend... Oh stars now I sound like a spoiled brat." Kai laughed weakly.
    "No, you don't, well maybe, but at least you gave me an explanation. Thank you." Cinder leaned back in her seat.
    "Your welcome." Kai handed her his phone. "Put on any music you like."
    "Gladly." Cinder smiled wickedly at the phone.

   "Who knew that a man with a forehead three times as big as everyone else's music would be good." Kai said over the song playing.
    (The kitten has moved, now only his booty remains on my back)
    "Of course it's enjoyable. And do you want to know a secret?" Cinder leaned closer to him.
    "What?"
     " Brendon Urie has a third lung in his forehead. That's why it's so large."
    Kai let out a single laugh before slipping into a full on howler.

   After a while the playlist stopped, deciding the silence was nicer They there comfortably, Cinder watching the cars around them pass by. The two soon fell into a long conversation that lasted till they got to the city. Kai drove like he had been there millions of times. Cinder had started to focus on the giant bridge across the way.
   "Hey Cinder." Kai cleared his throat.
   "Yeah." Cinder looked towards him.
   "It's still going to take a few minutes so I was hoping to ask a question."
    "Yeah?"
    "What happened to your hand?"
    Cinder looked down to her left hand that was in full view to him, "Um...."

A/N
Cliffhangers anybody?