Part 12 (end)

The fire licked up her body, holding her in an invisible chain. Her body ached from the heat and pain. She had no voice from screaming. No one was to come to her, she was a broken girl, who could not be fixed.
    Cinder heard voices from above, she also felt like she was moving. Guess the ambulance was for me after all. She was afraid to open her eyes, to see who was there with her.
   Was Kai there? Or was he too disgusted by her and her lying?
    Were her friends worried? Or did they side with Kai... if he was horrified.
    She slowly opened her eyes, excepting the fate now. And there he sat, Kai. He looked worried beyond what she had ever imaged. His hair looked like he ran his hands through it a million times, he had dark circles under his tired eyes, his shirt was unbuttoned on the top, and his loose tie was hanging around his neck.
   Haven't noticing she had woken, he looked over at her again; probably hoping she had. His eyes widened and he jumped up, scaring one of the paramedics.
   "Cinder." He walked to her side, taking her hand.
   "Hi." She said before continuing, "what happened?"
   "Well you fell down the stairs and then fainted." He gave her a small smile, "Why didn't you tell me?" He looked down at her prosthetic.
   "I was scared you would look at me differently." She said, feeling stupid now that she said it out loud.
   "Why would I?" He asked, bringing himself closer.
   "I-" Before she could continue, the paramedic said that they had arrived at the hospital and that she still needed a checkup before being discharged from their care.
   So they got the check up and a few hours later (and a new ankle) they were leaving the hospital.
    "I can't believe I didn't notice anything." Kai laughed. "I feel like I failed my duties as a boyfriend."
    "Yes you failed your job in this relationship." Cinder said, pulling at the top of her dress.
   "Hey stop that." Kai said pulling her to his side. "I know it would have been hard to tell me."
   "Aren't you mad at all?" Cinder looked up at him.
   "I mean I was shocked, but no. I understood your reasoning." He sighed before pulling her into a hug.
   "One of is needs to call a cab or Uber." Cinder said into his chest.
    "I think there is a cafe just down the street, let's go there and I can call one after we eat some fries and some coffee." Kai pushes her out to arms length.
    "Ok." Cinder smiled as they grabbed hands and walked down the street.
    Here she was, with the guy she thought would never look at her. And yet because of her horrid family and a silly book, they became something more than friends. Ok, and maybe the fact that they both wanted to screw with Levana but ended up doing this for themselves.
   "Oh shoot." Kai said as he took a sip from his cup.
   "What?" Cinder looked up at him.
   "I forgot to give this to you." He reached into his front pocket and grabbed out Peony's scrunchie.
    "Thank you." Cinder smiled as she through her hair into a messy ponytail with it.
     She never expected her life to be like this, she never expected Kai to care, she never expected to love him.
   "Kai?" Cinder at him from across the table.
   "Hm?"
   "I love you."
    She expected him to hesitate or leave, but without missing a beat he leaned over the table and pressed a kiss to her lips.
   "I love you too."