Chapter 5: A Second Bullet

I felt a painful shock go through my body. What I just saw before me was the worst thing I could ever see, and ever would see.

"Nagisa!"

Karma shoved me to the side so I couldn't see anything. I was stuck underneath the sensei's pedestal, sat on by Maehara, who was shoved next to me by Isogai.

"I-It couldn't have been..." I whispered to him. "N-Not..."

In the dimly lit pedestal, I could spy on Maehara's blushing, but still worried.

"W-Where's (Y/n)?"

I nearly jumped from my spot, "NAGISA!!"

He looked pitiful. His side was marked with red, and my whole body felt twisted as Karma started to pick him up and take him out of the classroom. I followed meekly, the whole class silent as we trekked down the mountain. Sugino had pressed his extra t-shirt onto his gunshot, trying not to cause more damage.

"N-Nagisa..." I muttered.

I moved closer to him, "Nagisa."

He only looked up at me and smiled.

A fake smile.

"It's my fault, isn't it." I let a few tears escape my eyes. "It has to be."

He shook his head lightly. "No. It isn't." He was sitting on Karma's shoulders, hanging over his head. It pained me to see him in this condition.

"Are you sure?" I asked. "I'm a wanted person in Russia. The only reason I say this is because Japan's government has me under their control. No one is allowed to kill me here." I looked back at the direction of the Old Campus, then at the nearingvottom of the mountain. "It's illegal to kill me. If they did, ten billion yen is their prison bail."

He just set his head onto Karma's. I felt myself tense up. Why? Why am I so tense? I continued to stare, but the more I stared, the less I felt like holding myself back. So I looked away and ran down the mountain ahead of everyone. I didn't care about my condition. Everything felt amazing. I started coughing just a bit, and I stopped by a tree, waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

"Karma? Nagisa?" I heard a snap in the forest. "Who's there?!"

Then there was the sound of a gunshot. I immediately ran in that direction, only to find no one.

Except a baby deer.

It was lying next to another deer. It has a bloody chest, and licked its baby on the face multiple times. Both freaked out when they saw me, but the baby suddenly skidded to a halt and fell over. It's foot was caught in a snare.

I released the little baby, which was hard when the snare kept tightening around its hoof. It jumped to its mother, who let out a dying groan. 

My heart sank. How much this family had in common with me. The dying sika deer liked at me with dark eyes. A glimmer passed through its shimmering orbs before the breathing stopped, and the baby started trying to limp away.

"Not today," I whsipered. I grabbed it and stuffed it into me, hugging it. Not too tightly though. My body froze in place as it struggled, hooves pressing against my legs. But after a few minutes, it started slowing down. I let my body fall limp as it fell asleep. Not forever though. I grabbed my strong bag, which was camouflaged to help. I picked up the poor thing, and set it in my backpack, head sticking out. It gave me a look of sadness before glancing at its mother. I sighed and took out a real knife, cutting a (religious symbol) onto its forehead. Then I left to let it Rest In Peace.

~~~

"Sika deer." I whsipered. "Your a..." I looked at... Something. "Girl! Interesting." I kept looking online. "A few days old, you poor thing. Weird season though."

I set it onto some warmed up blankets on Nagisa's couch. It looked at me and I grabbed the goat milk supplement that would help us with the fawn. Everything seemed calm. It was. I had snuck here in a black hoody so no one could recognize me. Nagisa had come home three days later, and agreed to keep the deer until further decisions were made. The town wasn't too strict on owning wild animals. It was a sign of wealth to own a sika deer. Didn't sound too bad for us.

"Hey Nagisa?" I asked. He was sitting on the opposite side of the couch, wrapped up in white blankets.

"Yeah?" He stifled.

"D-Does your shot feel better? It must've hurt a lot, being a live bullet and all..."

He sat upright and came closer to the deer. "Yeah. But it's worse when you lose your mother." He pat it's delicate head.

"I haven't even named her!" I booped her nose and looked at the little dot on her forehead. "How 'bout... Ah, nevermind."

He looked at her, grasping his side. He reached for a pill and swallowed it, feeling a bit better.

"We should name her Anzen." He looked at me with shiny eyes. "For her being safe!"

I nodded. "That is... That's the perfect name for her." I chuckled a little bit. "It's almost like a family!"

I felt myself blush while I looked at Nagisa.

No, why am I blushing! Help! Oh God! Help!

Nagisa blushed back, taking his eyes off me. The little female sika deer jumped from the couch and started to run to a dog bed we got. She started snuggling against a large brown blanket.

The air was tense. Nagisa ended up next to me as we started watching a scary movie. It was about some invisible creature, that no one could see but made them crazy (THUMBS UP IF YOU KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT).

I immediately grabbed Nagisa's arm as a loud bang was heard from the screen. I didn't feel too much for scary movies, but this one wasn't too scary. Still, I was frightened easily.

"Nagisa, when is it over?"

"What? The movie?"

I nodded slowly as large shadows started creeping up the walls. I curled up tighter and hugged a pillow while leaning into him, blushing. "S-Sorry!" But before I could get out what next, I felt two arms grasp behind me and pull me closer.

"When is it over?! That's silly!" He laughed and pat my head.

"JUST BECAUSE IM SHORTER THAN YOUR DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN DO THAT, BAKA."

I pushed a strand of my hair behind my ears and smiled. He just blushed and smiled back.

Not again. I keep feeling my whole body beat around him. I heard the tiny steps of the deer pat the ground with each step as it made quick ground to hop into the couch. I acted like I hated Nagisa for a second and pat the interestingly welcoming deer on the head while letting it sleep on me.

After a few minutes, I stood up and looked at Nagisa. My neon green eyes shone like bright emeralds in an escapade of black.

If only you knew the truth.