Chapter 8

I walked inside the lecture hall which —I now saw— was almost empty

               I walked inside the lecture hall which —I now saw— was almost empty. Sighing with frustration, I checked the time on my phone and confirmed the fact that I was exceedingly early to class.

Seating myself somewhere in the middle row, I untangled the earphones wrapped around my phone. Putting each bud in my ear and resting my head on my hands, I closed my eyes and turned the volume up.

I stayed in that position for a while when I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. As soon as I removed the earphones, a heavy male voice spoke, "Is this seat taken?"

I turned my head towards the source of the voice, only to find none other than Kim Taehyung standing next to the empty seat beside mine.

I couldn't shake the feeling that he was now somehow, deliberately trying to embarrass me every now and then.

"I don't know." I told him before pretending to text on my phone just so I'd have something to do.
"That means it's not." He simply stated, giving me a lope-sided smile, before sliding in the seat next to me. I brought myself to face him, looking at him in disbelief.

"Why don't you go sit with your Tom Cruise on-a-budget over there?"

A confused look crossed Taehyung's face as he furrowed his eyebrows, trying to comprehend my words.
When he finally realised who I was referring to he didn't fight the grin that spread across his face as he replied, shrugging, "Well, 'Tom Cruise on-a-budget' is currently busy with someone so... you know."

Following his suggestive look, I glanced at Jimin who was sitting a few rows below, with his arm affectionately draped around a very familiar redhead, speaking words in her ear that were making her laugh; Faces inches away from each other all the while.

Seeing this site cracked something inside me and my heart thumped just a bit too loudly in my chest. Suddenly I was glad for the chair because my knees would've given me away. They would've given away my well-kept façade. But I couldn't let myself falter just yet. I couldn't let myself think I cared.

I willed myself to look back at the boy sitting beside me and despite myself, I firmly said, "That is not my problem."

I watched his eyes widen slightly at my stiffness, all sorts of playfulness from his face now gone. "And I highly suggest you ask for my permission before you make the decision of taking the seat next to mine."

Kim Taehyung didn't say anything to me for the rest of the class.