001 : the pact

001 : the pact

❝ WHAT IF YOU WERE MY SAFETY
HUSBAND? ❞

⋆。˚ ✩

Scarlett heard the all familiar three knocks on her front door that only one person made. Smiling excitedly, she jumps from her lazy position on the sofa, jogging lightly to her door, her bare feet padding against the wooden flooring in her home as it echoed throughout the place she called home.

Opening it with a wide grin on her face, it quickly turned into a frown when she saw her best friend of 17 years, Tom Holland, crying on her doorstep. Without a second thought, Scarlett pulled him in her house, closing the door with a little slam before hugging Tom with so much force and compassion, trying to pass it all onto the crying boy, who's head was buried in her neck.

"You two broken up then?" Scarlett asked, with a sort of I told you so attitude, but not enough that Tom would notice.

The pair emigrated from their stances to onto the sofa, Tom digging comfortably into Scarlett's crease that she was in seconds before. He finally releases from her grip. Sniffing but not crying, Tom nodded, finally releasing himself from Scarlett's grip.

"Love sucks, my friend." Scarlett holds her friend's hand, somehow desperate to keep a withstanding contact between the two. Tom's breakup brought her back to a couple of months back, where Scarlett was in the exact position as her best friend, and he was attempting to comfort her.

Tom makes no hesitation to squeeze her hand back, looking up at her with sad eyes and those blotchy pink eyes turning back to his usual tanned complexion.

"I wish," Tom breaks the silence in half, where Scarlett was staring at him, wishing that he could just throw everything aside and say 'I love you, not the girl who ditched me.'
"I wish that I had someone to take care of me, and that I know will, l-like you." Tom barely squeaks, but Scarlett still heard it, their proximity too close to not hear everything that left their mouths.

Scarlett froze, unaware of what to do. What does he mean? Does he want to be with me? Is he just making a metaphor? She thought, the ideas leaving her mind as quick as they came.
"Haha, yeah right. We all know that when you put the two of us in a house for three weeks, the house burns down." She decides on saying instead, recalling the holiday they went to in Marbella just last summer.

Tom laughs, his sentiment forgotten about.
"Yeah, no you're a mess."

"Hey!" She punches his arm, leaving him clutching his arm and groaning in agony. But the thought was still lying in her mind, desperate to say it but unaware of the potential consequences it would cause.

"What if you were my safety husband?" Scarlett blurted, her eyes widening as she realised what she had done. Tom cocks his head to the side, puzzled.

"What's that?"

"Well, if we're still single the day we turn...30, we marry eachother." Scarlett couldn't keep her eyes open, or at least both of them, anyway, the embarassment drowning her.

Tom doesn't answer for about a minute, which only worsened Scarlett's state of mind. Maybe she should say it was a joke or something, jokes are something they do all the ti-

"That sounds really cool. Yeah, go on then." He smiles, spitting into his hand and extending it to Scarlett. She stares at it for a while, bewildered this was actually happening.

Spitting into her own hand, she shakes Tom's as they complete their intricate handshake (it was 7 years in the making) after sealing the deal.

"Don't worry, Tommy, by the time we're thirty I would have Prince Charming sweeping me off my feet." Scarlett smirks, standing to boil the kettle.

"Ha! You'd be a rubbish wife anyway!" Tom shouts, making Scarlett cackle.

"Yeah, yeah, you wished, Holland."

ϟ

i'm lowkey regretting the layout
change oh well too late now sjsksk