Chapter 5

I cautiously walked down the path with Gale right behind me. The people stared. Some children pointed. We weren't like them.

The people in this town looked like they were dressed for a picnic in summer, our clothes probably scared them. I felt like Gale and I needed to go change to fit in better with the whole theme.

"Come on, let's keep walking." I said to Gale.

He silently followed me, now looking straight ahead.

I didn't know where we were going, so I just kept walking to the end of the path until we reached a huge building. Apparently the mayor was expecting us.

"Mockingjay!" He exclaimed, and bowed down.

I laughed, but quickly closed my hand over my mouth.

"You don't need to do that, Mayor sir." I said, not sure what to call him.

"No, it is completely necessary! You're royalty!"

"Not really," I said. "anyway, how did you know we were coming?"

"Well," he said. "There is another sense of rebellion here."

"What are the signs of rebellion here? All the people seem very happy."

"Oh no, they're just pretending, if they don't, they'll be punished."

"Sounds like the Capitol." I thought.

"Anyway, I would like you and Gale here to stay here for a while and make sure that the townspeople are intimidated and get back into line." The mayor explained.

"Uhhh, how long exactly?" Gale asked.

"The minimum 1 week, and it couldn't be more than 2 months."

"2 months?!?!?" I yelled.

"Yes," he said. "Is there a problem with that Mockingjay?"

I looked at Gale.

"No, that's completely fine." I said, gritting my teeth.

"Your temporary home will be 679 on Miks street," and with that he walked out.