Chapter 6

He never came home last night and that alone makes me very happy, well as happy as I can possibly be right now. I climb out of bed and take my time getting ready. I pull on some sweat pants, make my bed as well as take my dishes upstairs to clean them.

Once everything is in order and Kevin still isn't home I pull a sweat shirt on and head out for a run. I can't remember the last time I ran. It's been so long. I can feel my cheeks starting to get red and the crisp air feels so good. With each stride my mind becomes more clear of unwanted thoughts. I check my watch as I come back up the driveway. I'm not sure how long I was intending on running for or where for that matter but it's the afternoon and I'm glad that I didn't set a limit because I'm feeling much better that I have in a while. I'm glad that Kevin is still MIA because I wouldn't want him souring my mood.

I open the fridge to look for a different item to add to my menu but remember that I'm the one who fills the fridge around here. Ironically I fill it with food I can't even eat. Fuck when he arrives back home and finds nothing in the fridge he's going to most likely smash my head against something else. I wish he would tell me when he didn't have anymore food. He's like a vicious animal that I have to take care of.

I grab the extra money that was in my locker at the hardware store and drive to the grocery store on search of some food for Kevin. Fuck the bastard ears better than I do, no wonder I lost so much weight. I don't play football anymore and all I eat is ramen noodles.

I find some things on sale like bread and milk, the basics. His truck is in the driveway and I don't want to go inside but I guess since I'm bring him food he shouldn't start any arguments.

It doesn't take long for him to start with his usual questioning as I walk through the door with too many bags in my hands. I should have made a second trip. "Where have you been?" I really could ask him the exact same question but I decide against it for my heads sake. "I was out getting some food not you." I reply. "Put it in the fridge." He says and I stand in the doorway not wanting to move. I'm unable to sense his mood. "Now!" He yells and I come to reality.

I place the food in the fridge hastily and make my way to my room. I seriously hate that man. At least my door isn't broken down. Yet. I need a shower but I don't want to take the chance of him yelling at me like he did over my laundry. Maybe if he had a stable income he wouldn't bitch so much. His income is about as stable as him.

I splash water on my face in hopes that it will make me feel better. I wipe my face and look at the pale lost face looking back at me. He did this to me. My anger towards him grows everyday. Just as I think things are beginning to get better they get worse and I fall deeper into this nightmare.