Chapter 12

Mr. Smith starts speaking before I can say a word.

"I don't want you to think that I hired you because of the recent events that have taken place in your life. I want you to know that I hired you because you are a very polite young man and I see potential in you. I also don't want you to think that by having you here that I see you only for those events."

I am quite shocked by this. Ever since my mom had passed people always pitied me and I honestly felt like a charity case.

"Thank you Mr. Smith, I appreciate your kindness very much." Those are the only worlds that I could find to say to him.

"It's not an issue."  He  states, "and please call me Christian."

He got up and left the room. I just sat on the bed for a while lost in thought and looking around the room and realizing that I will never have all this. I will never having a loving family and a big house on a hill.

Yet again my thought are interrupted by a knock at the door. It's Hannah again. "My father has made steak with sautéed mushrooms and baked potatoes for dinner if you would like to join us."

"Yes, that sounds great. I'll be at the table after I wash up."

I wash my hands and make my way to the table. The house smells so good, it's something that I'm really not used to.

There was not much for talking at the dinner table. Mrs. Smith is a very nice lady and I tried my best to eat slowly. It was the best meal I have eaten in a while and I didn't want to be rude.

I excuse myself from the table and place my plate by the sink. I hear Hannah excuse herself as well. I walk down the hall quickly because I don't want to talk about earlier.

"Noah." She calls. I don't want to be rude so I turn around to talk to her.

"Can I talk to you?" She asks

"Yeah, sure."

"Um can we go somewhere private?"

"I guess so"

She walks over to the door of her room and motions for me to go inside.

Her room is not as I expected it. It is quite simple though I don't have much time to take everything in because I don't want to seem nosy and she brought me here to talk.

"What happened to your mom?" She asks the question simply, almost like it has a simple answer.

"She died." I state, not wanting to elaborate anymore than I have to.

"I overheard my parents talking about you and I just wanted to see that you were okay I guess."

"I'm fine, thank you." I get up from sitting in the bed and we both reach for the door knob at the same time, our hands brush lightly but she quickly pulls away.

I cross the hall quickly not wanting anyone to know that I was in her room. It early but I have nothing else to do but sleep. So I lay down and wish to fall asleep. If my mind wasn't racing so fast sleep could come but that a luxury I don't have.