Chapter 7

I am waken up by the buzzing of my phone. Mr. Smith is calling me, most likely to concern when I am starting. I let it go through to voice mail because I don't want to sound groggy on the phone. I want to keep it professional between us. I'll return his call after I've showered. I hope that he didn't change his mind. I really do need this job if I want to eat and keep Kevin somewhat in a decent mood.

It only takes two rings until Mr. Smith answers his phone. I'm glad that I have his cell number. "Hello." He answers. "Mr. Smith, I'm sorry that I missed your call." "No problem Noah, and please call me Christian please." "Yes sir." "I was wondering if you would like to come in sometime this week to do the paper work so I can have you working for the week after?" "Yes, anytime this week works Mr. Sm... uh I mean Christian." "Okay than tomorrow?" "Yeah sure I'll be there in the afternoon."

I'm quite glad that things are moving forward fast in the job front of things. I've been procrastinating with my online courses so I should get them done. I have a history paper that was suppose to be submitted last night but I don't care about it being late as long as I pass. I didn't want to go back to high school for another year but after what happened last year and the fact that I failed a couple classes, ruined my GPA and got into trouble ... lots I wasn't able to graduate. So here I am taking online courses at home because I can't stand to be in school but I would like to graduate.

I wish that I never got caught up with the wrong people last year. I probably would have graduated if it wasn't for my lack of self respect after that night. I don't really feel like taking a trip down memory lane right now because I know that I will just blame myself again and I don't have enough energy.

The teacher would like quotations from academic journals in this paper for history but I don't want to go out because I don't want to disturb Kevin. I'm like a child avoiding the nurse because she wants to give a needle. Its inevitable I'm going to have to go up there at some point just as the child will have to sit in the chair while their arm gets wiped. Just as the child would feel anxious I do. I'm waiting for the needle but it never comes, he's passed out on the couch. He can't hold his alcohol very well, he's never been able to.

My car starts with just one turn of the key. When I enter the grand doors of the library I am hit with the pleasant smell of old books. I remember I used to come here with my mom when I was younger, we would go to the top floor and we I would watch the floor below us. I would look at the different people as she read me a story. It was our escape.

I find the section about Washington and I am surprised by how little books they have on this topic. I take a moment to really look around and I notice that it isn't as it used to be. There are much less books and almost no people. It's kind of a mummer really.

I find the books that I need and head back to my car. I glance at my watch and notice that I have been at the library for a good portion of the day and that if I go back home Kevin won't be passed out in the couch but probably on his second or third bottle of vodka. I have not a clue how he drinks that much.