Chapter 5: The Soldier

John and Hannah sat in the living room of the ranch, both of them quiet but John had his eyes on her the whole time. She looked like she was trying to think about something and she was still angry too. Hannah finally looked up at John and just smiled at him, taking John by surprise. "Everything ok darling?" John asked.

Hannah stood up and walked up to John, sitting next to him and putting her head against his shoulder. "Do you think I overreacted back there?" She looked up at him. "You're angry at him and I definitely understand that dear" John replied back to her. "So what happens to him now?" Hannah asked. "That all depends on you honey. Whatever you want us to do to him, just tell me" John pressed his lips on the top of her head and put his arm around her. "I'm so confused John. I'm angry at him but I feel bad for him as well, he did lose someone that meant so much to him" she took in a deep breath. "Let's hold it off a little longer, Jacob will keep him locked up until you are ready to make a decision on your brothers fate. Remember darling, no ones going to judge you on the decision you make" John smiled down at her and hugged her tighter.

-

Two weeks went by, Hannah's brother was still Jacob's hostage and was still going through Jacob's trials. Hannah tried to go back to her normal life with John but all she could think of, was what the Seed brothers were going to do to him.

Last time she saw Lenny, he was all messed up in the head from the trials, he looked weaker instead of stronger. He didn't look Hannah in the eyes but did threaten to kill her and the Seed family, if he ever got out of the cage. She was scared, clearly Lenny was capable of doing what he wanted, it showed when he came to Hope County to kill Joseph Seed.

Hannah laid in bed, her head and hand on John's chest while he fell into a deep sleep. She stared at the dark wall, thinking about Lenny's threat and if she should just let Jacob kill him.

Just as her eyes were about to close, John's phone started ringing but he didn't flinch, so Hannah picked it up. "Father, is everything ok?" Hannah asked, worried that something happened seeing that he was calling at 2am in the morning. "It's bad news my child. Jacob's been shot, we are at the Hope Count Clinic and doesn't seem to be doing well" Hannah flew out of bed after hearing those words for Joseph, it had finally woken John up and his eyes darted open when he saw the panic in Hannah's eyes. "Father, is he ok? Who shot him?" Hannah asked, John flew out of bed and stood by her. "Your brother Lenny. He escaped and didn't leave the Veterans Centre until he put a bullet into Jacob's chest. I'll explain all the details when you and John come" Joseph hung the phone up.

"Darling, what has happened?" John asked demanding for an answer. "Jacob, he's been shot in the chest by my brother. He's in critical condition, we need to go to the clinic now" Hannah explained. John's heart started beating fast, he didn't want to think about losing his older brother this soon. They both got dressed immediately, before jumping in their car and driving to Hope County Clinic.

Arriving, Hannah and John saw a few of Jacob's men standing outside, all on their knees. John feared the worse and rushed straight into the building. "Joseph! Is brother Jacob ok?" John asked rushing to him. "The doctor hasn't said a word yet but it doesn't look good John. We need to prepare ourselves for the worst" Joseph put a hand on John's shoulder.

The doctor walked out of the room and looked at the two brothers, "he's going to be fine. The bullet just missed his heart". There was sigh of relief from Joseph, John and Hannah. "Thank you Doctor" Joseph said then turned to the couple, "Looks like we have a big problem in our hand John. We can't risk to send any of our men out to search for that sinner. We will only risk losing our people". "What do we do then? Let the man that nearly killed our brother, stroll through this County?" John asked angrily. "That man is your wife's brother" Joseph glared at him.

"Kill him John" Hannah yelled out, making both men turn around to look at her, "find Lenny and kill him, or else I'll do it". "Honey, I'm sorry. I'm just upset and angry about Jacob's condition" John walked up to her. "And that's why you need to kill him. He nearly killed someone from our family, nearly caused Eden's Gate one of the biggest pains ever. Don't let him get away with it John. Kill him" Hannah hugged her husband tightly and gave Joseph a nod.

"Then we get down to work immediately John. Gather our people at my church, we will hold a meeting and get started on bringing this sinner down before he causes anymore problems for us" Joseph walked into Jacob's hospital room, while John and Hannah walked outside to the Peggies.

"My brothers, gather as many of of people at Joseph's church" John ordered. "How is brother Jacob?" One of the hunters asked. "He's is very lucky the bullet missed his heart. He's going to be fine" John informed them and everyone shot up to their feet.

"Hannah, darling. Are you sure you want your brother to die?" John asked one last time. "Yes John. I'm sure" she gave him a half smile, "I'll stay here with Jacob and keep an eye on him. You get to work and please honey, be very careful. I don't want to lose you". John put his arms around Hannah's waist and pulled her closer to him, "I will dear. I'll send some of our people to stand guard here at the clinic. Let me know if anything changes with Jacob". He kissed his wife on the lips, then turned around to leave with Jacob's men.

Hannah walked back into the clinic and into Jacob's room, "Father, John is getting everything sorted right now. If you like, I'm happy to stay with Jacob while you and John do work". "Thank you my child. Keep us up to date with his condition" Joseph put his forehead against hers before leaving the room. Hannah looked at Jacob, who was sleeping after his surgery, "oh Jacob, I'm so sorry" she whispered, sitting down on the chair and holding his hand.