Chapter Three: Corny Jokes and Lame Conversations

"SO, UM... ADELAIDE, would you mind going home together with me today?" A familiar voice that always made Adelaide's heart clench rang from her behind.

She turned around to face Tobias, the dorkiest boy on the planet, with his head facing downwards, his chocolate-coloured twines falling in all directions, and his blue eyes looking anywhere but her. His fingers fiddled nervously, and a deep crimson stained his cheeks.

Her lips curved upwards. Finally, after so long (well, technically after one and a half months), she wasn't the one who'd initiate asking to go home together. For the first time ever, Tobias Salvatore was the one asking for it. In a kinda formal way, but whatever, it was better than nothing.

"Of course!" She practically shrieked cheerily as she grabbed his hands without his acknowledgement.

Today wasn't any special day, so Adelaide didn't have any idea why her boyfriend would suddenly have the guts to ask her to go home together with him. It was probably his friends who made him do it. She was glad though. It proved that he'd liked her more than when they'd first gotten together. Their relationship was slowly but surely improving and she felt as if the gap between them had narrowed a little. And for now, that was enough. She hummed a song unknowingly, happy that her effort had paid off.

For two whole minutes, no sounds could be heard from either of them, but Adelaide didn't mind one bit— she was quite used to the silence between them. After all, everyone knew how shy Tobias was. It would take a while for him to open up to her, she knew. Plus, she was too busy fantasising over her boyfriend and their future together. Meanwhile, as usual, Tobias' hands clenched into fists as he tried to force out a word to kill the silence.

He cleared his throat after an eternity. "Where do beef burgers go to dance?"

"What?" Adelaide tilted her head up to face him, stunned at his random question, unsure of whether she'd heard him right.

"The meatball! Haha, ha ha," Tobias pointed towards the sky as he answered himself, his forced laughter filling the walkway outside school.

Adelaide's mouth gaped open for a minute.

Oh dear... what is he doing now? She thought, but decided to play along with her boyfriend by feigning her laughter.

Tobias' face lit up as he saw his girlfriend chuckling, immediately deceived by her. He decided to continue the conversation, attempting to make her smile even more.

"Then... what do you call nervous dinosaurs?" He gained confidence as he gave her a slight goofy smile.

"What?" She appreciated his facial features. Rather than caring about the answers, she wanted to hear his bright voice that seemed to miraculously brighten up her day without effort.

"A nervous Rex," he replied, his grin widening, showing off his perfect white teeth. Then he was snickering, which slowly led to a hearty laugh.

Adelaide had no idea why that joke was even funny in the first place, or why he'd even laugh this much because of it. But one thing was for sure—she adored his smile; the way his sapphire eyes would twinkle, his crooked nose would scrunch up, and his cheeks would become slightly flushed.

She would totally have taken a photograph of him in this position and set it as her lock screen wallpaper, but he'd most probably be crept out by her, so she resisted the urge to. Instead, she mirrored his smile and allowed him to laugh with all his might.

A few seconds later, Tobias' laughter died down. A look of disappointment replaced his happy frame. "Oh... you don't find it very funny?" He looked like a dejected puppy who'd just been given a punishment.

Adelaide's heart tugged. She still couldn't believe how lucky she was to have this guy as her boyfriend. Awwww...

"Nonono, of course it was! I just laughed so much thanks to your first joke I didn't have the energy to laugh for the second one," she patted his shoulder while blabbering, internally praising herself for the nice save.

Tobias nodded slowly, letting her words sink in before a crooked smile emitted from his lips again.  This guy was such an open book.

"So why the sudden jokes? You don't usually say these kinda stuffs." She asked lightheartedly.

He shrugged, before lowering his head again. "Well... you seemed pretty down yesterday during geography class. I asked my friends how to cheer you up, and they said this might work, so..."

Adelaide tried to recall what happened but couldn't exactly remember. Her heart warmed when she realised how much her boyfriend had noticed her. Heck, she didn't even know he was checking on her during the lesson. The fact that it happened yesterday also proved that he remembered about such subtle things like that.

She tightened her grip on his fingers. "Thanks, Toby" —it was her first time calling him that, though she had been itching to do so since forever— "not trying to be cheesy or anything, but y'know what?"

Tobias raised an eyebrow in curiosity, waiting for her to continue talking.

"Merely hanging out with you is enough to cheer me up!" She beamed at him, and suddenly Tobias thought of his girlfriend as the most beautiful girl on earth.

He blushed tremendously, not saying a word but Adelaide didn't bother. She knew what she said was true to the heart.

• • •
Hehe, hope this was cute enough for y'all? XD

I had to literally search for corny jokes bc ya girl SUCKS at memorising jokes lmao. Anyway, I found myself smiling throughout this chapter. I really like Tobias, damn. Wish there was a real-life version of him!!!!

How did y'all find this chapter so far? :)

I love the couple's innocence!!!!! They're quite sweet imo.

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT IF YOU HAVE LIKED THIS CHAPTER!

Thanks lots :)

♥️M.