Angiurus

The Anguirus (アンギラス Angirasu?) of the Showa era is a mutated Ankylosaurus kaiju created by Toho that first appeared in the 1955 Godzilla film, Godzilla Raids Again.

Contents[show]

Name: Anguirus

Height: 25 - 80 meters(comic version)

Length: 100 meters

Weight : 30,000 - 54,000 metric tons

The original English name given to Anguirus by Toho was "Angilas", given the pronunciation of the name in Japan, which was changed to Anguirus in the 1959 American release of Godzilla Raids Again, with the film's title being changed to Gigantis, the Fire Monster. In the mid-1990s, Toho copyrighted the revised name "Anguirus," making it official.

Design

ShodaiAngira

Anguirus is a four-legged dinosaur-like creature that combines the features of an Ankylosaurus, a Styracosaurus, and a crocodile. He has several horns at the top of his head and a single rhino-like horn above his nose.

His face is elongated with a long snout bearing rows of jagged, serrated teeth and his carapace is studded with long, sharp spikes. Anguirus' tail is longer than his body and makes up most of his body length, and is also covered with spikes. His hind limbs are longer than his forelimbs, enabling him to stand up on them to his full height, but he generally acts as a quadruped.

SoshingekiAngira

Compared to the previous Anguirus design, the SoshingekiAngira suit has a wider, more muscular neck. The eyes are larger, giving Anguirus a more heroic appearance, just like the Godzilla it appeared alongside. Except for a pair of fangs, its teeth are shorter than its predecessor's. The carapace, which no longer moves independently of the rest of the suit, is lined with uneven rows of spikes.

This suit was also used for Anguirus' brief appearance in the opening of Godzilla vs. Megalon. The suit's fangs were removed for its appearance in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. This suit is also known as the GiganAngira (ガイガンアンギラ?) in Godzilla vs. Gigan, the MegaroAngira (メガロアンギラ?) in Godzilla vs. Megalon, and the MekaAngira (メカアンギラ?) in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

Roar

Anguirus common roar is very akin to a loud shriek, over a deep bellow.

Personality

Anguirus is depicted as a very tenacious and fierce fighter. Despite constantly going up against enemies tougher than himself, Anguirus rarely backs down and always puts up a vicious fight. Despite his fierce nature, Anguirus has traditionally been shown in various media as being a close friend of Godzilla.

While many of Godzilla's allies have had to work with him out of necessity, such as Mothra and Rodan, Anguirus and Godzilla appear to have a genuine friendship, despite initially being enemies. This is most pronounced in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, where Anguirus senses that the Godzilla roaming Japan is not the monster he knows and attacks it, with a character even mentioning that it's strange to see Anguirus attack "his friend" Godzilla.

Origins

In Godzilla Raids Again, it is suggested that Anguirus is a relative of the dinosaur Ankylosaurus that lived around the same time as Godzilla. Like Godzilla, Anguirus managed to survive into the modern day by lying dormant somewhere, presumably underwater, before being awakened and irradiated by nuclear bomb tests in the 1950s. This origin is never discussed further or contradicted in subsequent films.

History

Godzilla Raids Again

Anguirus Raids Again