Baragon

Baragon (バラゴン Baragon) is a reptilian created by that first appeared in the , .

Contents

Height: 35-40 meters

Weight: 250-10,000 metric tons

[]

Baragon's name comes from from the Japanese word bara(バラ), meaning rose, and ragon (ラゴン), from "dragon." This name refers to the ridges on his back, which supposedly resemble rose petals.

In , the guardian monster Baragon's name is spelled in kanji but pronounced the same: 婆羅護吽 (Baragon).

Baragon is a four-legged mammal-like reptilian creature with reddish-brown skin, a horn on his forehead, and large, floppy dog-like ears.

In Baragon's two appearances during the Showa era, his roar was a slightly modified version of 's roar. The only difference being that Baragon's version has a little more of a growling added to the mix. This growling Varan voice would give Baragon's roar a more "guard-dog" tone. Some parts of the roar comes from Godzilla.

In the Millennium era, the character's roar was completely changed. The "modified Varan" roar was discarded and replaced with a new original sound. This version of the roar starts of with a growl followed by a gurgling high pitched wail. The higher voice in the character gave it a more benevolent voice which would help with the audiences appeal to its protagonistic role, and the roar was also enhanced with leopard growls and snarls, crocodile hisses, and some elephant sounds as well as the T. rex roars featured in Jurassic Fight Club.

In the Showa series, Baragon burrowed underground and survived the Cretaceous extinction event while most other dinosaurs died.

In the Millennium series, Baragon is one of the ancient of .

in

Baragon was first seen in where he was awakened by sound from a nearby factory. He attacked the factory, and burrowed to a Shirane Village and attacked it. He then attacked a farm to feed on the livestock.

Baragon was not seen during these attacks, so was blamed for them. A worker at the factory says it was not Frankenstein, but another monster. When a group of scientists looked for Frankenstein, they caused an explosion that woke up Baragon from his sleep. He tried to eat the scientists, but he was stopped by Frankenstein. Frankenstein and Baragon battle, but Frankenstein wins when he breaks Baragon's neck. The ground then cracks and the two fall down the hole.

in

Baragon appeared briefly in , where he is present during the battle between the Earth monsters and , but doesn't fight. Baragon was supposed to attack and destroy the under the control of the , but because his was heavily damaged from use as other monsters in ' and , he was replaced with . Baragon can very briefly be seen observing the other monsters fight from a distance with , and is later seen on when all the monsters return home. Baragon's suit was given a new head for this brief appearance due to damage it had sustained.

Baragon in

Baragon appears in all four OVAs. In each OVA, he is one of 's closest friends, alongside and .

In the addition OVA, Baragon saw kidnap and went to tell Godzilla and . Despite having recently fought with Anguirus, Godzilla decided to go rescue his friend, with Gojirin, Baragon and assisting him. Along the way, they were intercepted by a group of ants, who stabbed Godzilla with spears. After Mothra convinced the ants to not attack them, the monsters reached the cave where Mechagodzilla was keeping Anguirus. Mechagodzilla forced Godzilla, Gojirin and Baragon to answer addition problems, which they successfully did, causing Anguirus to be set free. Afterwards, Mothra convinced Baragon and the others to accept Mechagodzilla as one of their friends, and they all played together.