Battra

Battra (バトラ Batora) is a dark divine moth created by that first appeared in the , .

Contents

Length:73-90 meters

Weight:20,000-30,000 metric tons

wingspan:180 meters

[]Development

Battra was originally meant to be an evil twin of Mothra called "" whose abilities somewhat resemble 's in the scrapped film .

Name

Battra's name most likely comes from the common Japanese practice of shortening two words to make one; in this case the combination of the Japanese spelling of Battle Mothra (バトルモスラ Batoru Mosura), as described in the video game manual. Battra is also referred to as the "Black Mothra" (黒いモスラ Kuroi Mosura) at one point by the in .

Appearance

Like , Battra has both larva and imago forms. Battra's imago form has a predominately black body with very large wings that have patterns of red, black and yellow. He also has yellow horns on his head, six legs, and red eyes which glow purple when firing his beam, as well as a red line which runs down his body's sides.

His larval form is mostly black but with a lot of yellow and a dark red underside. He also has a giant horn, similar to 's, which is yellow and glows when he uses his beam attacks, and two tusks on each cheek. Battra's larval form also has bigger, more powerful legs than 's larval form, which are yellow and horn-like. Much like his imago form, his eyes are red. Battra's larval form is also, physically, much larger than Mothra's, being almost as large as Godzilla himself.

Roar

Battra's roar is a very slightly edited roar.

Personality

Battra is solely concerned with the defense of the , and will do whatever he can to protect it. Unlike , Battra sees humanity as a blight on the Earth that must be destroyed if the planet is to survive. Battra has made it his mission to eradicate the human race, which puts him into conflict with Mothra.

Origins

According to the , Battra was created by the itself twelve thousand years ago, when an ancient civilization created a climate-controlling device, which greatly angered the Earth. Battra's purpose was to destroy the device, but he went well beyond his purpose and eradicated the entire civilization, intending to wipe out all of the human race as well. challenged Battra and defeated him, sealing him in the North Sea.

History

Battra Larva in

Thousands of years after being sealed in the North Sea by , Battra was awakened by a meteorite in Siberia. Battra swam to the coast of and burrowed, reappearing and attacking . The fought Battra but were no match, and Battra left a wrecked city behind as he burrowed again. Battra appeared in the waters off the archipelago of the , where and Mothra were battling. Battra engaged Godzilla, who was the bigger threat.

The two monsters battled down to the sea floor in the Philippine Trench, where a volcanic eruption supposedly killed them. But Battra and Godzilla lived on, appearing near , with Godzilla exiting the erupting volcano and Battra emerging from the ocean's depths. Upon metamorphosing from his larval form, he flew to to exact his revenge on Mothra. The sinister moth seemed to have an upper hand against his less violent counterpart, but soon, in the heat of the battle, Godzilla appeared, and began to relentlessly attack Mothra, nearly killing her several times. Noticing this, Battra intervened, and rescued his counterpart. After a brief conversation between the two moths, Mothra and Battra teamed up to combat Godzilla together in defense of both Earth and humankind.