Biollante

Biollante (ビオランテ Biorante) is a genetically-modified rose hybrid created by that first appeared in the , . Rose Biollante (ビオランテ 花獣形態 Biorante kajū keitai, lit. Biollante Flower Beast Form) is Biollante's first form.

ContentsHeight: 120 meters

weight: 200,000 metric tons

Name

Biollante's name likely comes from the prefix bio (ビオ), referring to organic life, and the English word plant (プラント puranto).

Kobayashi Shinichiro, the original author of "Godzilla vs. Biolante", took the name "Violonte" from the passage of Paul Verlain's poem "From Violon of Autumn ... ...." He wrote that he added "Te", which had never been used as a monster's name, and it was a coincidence that it became a name that implied biotechnology[1].

Within the context of , Biollante gets her name from , who upon seeing the creature gives it the name Biollante, stating it is the name of a plant spirit from Norse mythology. In reality though, there is no figure named Biollante in Norse mythology, although numerous nature deities do exist in Norse mythology, with almost all of them being female.

DesignAppearance

At first, Biollante was a giant rose with a set of jaws inside her bud and her tendrils, as well as long vines; merely a heavily-mutated and exponentially large, semi-sentient rose. She also had a large, fleshy sac surrounded by her overlaying vines. What this object was has never been determined, but it is likely that it is either her brain or her heart.

In her second form, the Godzilla genes took over and Biollante's body became an abomination of biological science. Biollante's second form had a head similar to that of a Mosasaur or crocodile and a maw with knife-like teeth, even on the interior lining. In addition, six large tusks, three on each side, protruded from the fulcrum-region of her mouth. Large numbers of vines and tendrils were a primary feature of Biollante. Some vines ended in sharp, spear-like ends, while others sported small, sharp-toothed mouths. Also, Biollante had four stubby, root-like legs that she uses to move, as well as what appeared to be meaty flesh underneath the tangled mess of vines and plant tissue. The fleshy surface was yellow and red-orange and had many wrinkles and lines, resembling a brain-like surface.

Roar

Biollante's roars differ based on her form. In her rose form, her cries are shrill, and short, almost like a child's cry in some cases. As she shifts to her beast form, her roars become much deeper and more akin to Godzilla's.

Origins

Biollante is a , rose, and human tribrid created by . Shiragami originally created a human-and-rose hybrid in 1984 by splicing the DNA of his daughter, , who was killed in a -authorized bombing of his lab in , with that of a rosebush, as roses had been Erika's favorite flower. It was later suggested that as a result of the fusion, the plant developed a level of sentience which could only be detected by those with psychic abilities, like .

Then, in 1990, began to erupt, creating an earthquake that killed several roses. Panicking, Shiragami spliced samples of Godzilla's DNA (given to him by the Japanese Self-Defense Force in order for Shiragami to help create the ) that had been collected in 1984 with a single rose so that it could use Godzilla's advanced healing factor to become invincible. The fusion eventually further increased the plant's sentience and gave it the ability to move on its own, and it continued to evolve into what would soon become Biollante.

History

Rose Biollante in

Biollante was a combination of the cells of a rose, , and Dr. Shiragami's daughter Erika. She attacked a group of terrorists that broke into Dr. Shiragami's lab on the shore of , and then ran out into the lake to grow, with her wailing cries drawing Godzilla to the lake. She battled Godzilla in her rose form, but she was overpowered quickly. She was seemingly killed, but it was revealed she was immortal when she broke apart into spores of energy and floated away.