Chapter One

Gabrielle's POV

It's been four years.
I've spent four years at this university for this moment.
Walking across this stage, to grab my diploma, and shake the sweaty hand of an older man.

I've been here for what seems like ages, and I finally get to leave this place.
Not just the school, but this town. It's absolutely toxic.

Too much has happened here, too many bad memories. It's time to let it all go.
Forget my past.

All except, of course, my best friend.
Beck has been there through everything. Absolutely everything. And yet, she is still here, putting up with me.
I'm grateful for that, at least.

But God, am I ready to leave this place.

It does suck that I'm leaving her here to fend for herself, but I promised her that I would visit some and she could come see me as well.

I told her she would be okay.
She'll be a nurse, making great money, and she has her boyfriend.
Dominique treats her right, and is always doing everything to make sure she is okay, so I know that she'll be fine.

She tried to get me to stay, to not go to Los Angeles, but I convinced her to let me leave for a while.

First of all, where would I find a job as an audio engineer at Lakeland, Florida? Nowhere.
Second of all, it's just time.

_______________

"Are you sure you want to move all the way to Los Angeles?" Beck whines as she grabs my shoulders tightly, and I know that she doesn't want to let me go.

"Beck, we've talked about this. Of course, I want to. And I have to." I give her a soft smile and she returns.

She understands. She always does.

"You have Dominique!" I chuckle.

Dominique offers a little smile as he waits for us to say our goodbyes at the airport, as I'm about to get on the plane towards LA.

He's mighty handsome. She did pretty good. He has dark skin and dark hair.
That hair is always well kept, no matter how late or early in the day. And he always smells of expensive cologne. He really is beautiful.

They fit together wonderfully. She is just as beautiful as him, maybe more.

Definitely more.

Her long, black hair cascades down her back. She always has her fingernails done beautifully. She's wearing a 'Gun's & Roses' t-shirt, the usual. And of course, her ripped black jeans.

I hug her tight, one last time for a while, and let her know how much I love her.

"I love you too, Gab. I will come visit very soon, so don't forget that I will come by!" Beck releases me and shuffles her way out of my arms.

"I won't forget!" I laugh lightly.

"And let me know if you find a cute boy! You need a boyfriend to keep you company." She playfully rolls her eyes and I give her arm a good slap.

"I need no such thing. I won't have time for that." I smile huge.

We say our final words, and I'm finally on the plane. Headed towards the empty apartment, awaiting my arrival. Headed towards the city and the millions of people I do not know.

Luckily, however, I believe in the kindness of strangers.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This kind of sucks. LMAO SORRY. It's really short, but oh well. :)

xoxo,
W