Chapter Seventeen

Gabrielle's POV

My clothes hang in the closet in front of me.  I take my hand and run it across the few dresses that I have, wondering if I should even wear one.

I walk over to my dresser and grab my phone that sits atop it. 

The phone rings about five times before she picks up.

"Yes?"  Her soft, quiet voice rings in my ear.

"So, should I wear a dress or not?  I was just thinking, what if someone does see us?  I mean, us both wearing dresses and sitting at a table for two?"  I ask her cautiously.

"Oh, you have a point.  I can see the media now!  Lana Del Rey and mystery girl on romantic date in Los Angeles?!"  She speaks in a dramatic tone.

I chuckle lightly. "Exactly." I state.

"Maybe just go for casual?  We'll be pretty hidden, but just in case.  I'll even call and get a table that's more hidden than the one we have."  I hear her smiling.

"We don't even have to go, we can just eat at your house."  I smile.

"No! Definitely not! We are going!"  Lana perks up.

"Fine, fine! Okay!"  I shut her up.

Silence falls between us for a few seconds, and I begin to wonder if she is already gone.

"I'm looking forward to it."  She interrupts my thoughts.

"Me too, Lana."  I speak soft.

"Pick you up at 8?"  She says in the same tone as me.

"See you then." I smile and we say our goodbyes.

I check the time quickly and see that it's 6 o'clock.  Two hours is plenty of time for me to get ready.

I spent the night with her last night, and went straight to work this morning from her house.  The usual now, it seems.  Afterwards, I came here to get ready.

We decided to go tonight, on our- date?

Weird.

I sit my phone down exactly where it was earlier and walk over to my closet again.

I lay my eyes on a simple, white button up blouse and grab it off of the hanger.

I slide my current t-shirt off of my body and put on the fitted button up. 

Once the last button is done, I feel how much it hugs my body.  But in a good way.

I slip off the leggings I had worn today and put on a pair of skinny jeans.  Tucking my white shirt in, I instantly feel classy but casual. 

I slip on my plain brown sandals, and begin to attempt to do my makeup.

After a while, my very minimal makeup covers my face and I spray myself with some perfume before sitting on the couch and waiting on 8 o'clock.

This might be the first time in a while that I've gone on a date.

That's so weird.

Is this real? How did this happen? What did I get myself into?

I start doubting myself. 

Maybe I shouldn't waste her time, or mine.  She's- who she is and I'm nobody.
Why me? Why did we meet in that grocery store?  What was the purpose?  Was there even a purpose?