Chapter Seven

[ "Autumn Leaves" by Nat King Cole ]

DISCLAIMER: this chapter might be hard to read and might be a bit triggering so please be mindful of that.

Gabrielle's POV

I awoke to the sound of strings playing in my room. My eyes slowly open, and I look down at the record player to see that one is spinning.

Nat King Cole begins to quietly sing.

The falling leaves drift by the window.
The autumn leaves of red and gold.
I see your lips, the summer kisses, the sunburnt hands I used to hold.

The sun peaks through the sheer curtain hanging in front of the window, and I look over at it. A piece of paper lays on top of the pillow beside me, and I pick it up.

——————————————————————

Gabrielle,

I went to my place this morning to grab a shower and to put on some new clothes. I should be back before you wake up, but if not, that's where I am.

You were asleep for pretty much the rest of the day yesterday, so I stayed because I was worried about you. I hope that was okay.

I took your keys to let myself back in.

Lana Del

——————————————————————

I lay it down, and drag myself out of bed, walking into the living room to look around.

She had decorated all of it already and put everything where it needed to be.

I stand for a while, staring at everything in awe. It's absolutely beautiful.

Every piece looks like it came from the fifties and I fall in love with the space around me. A huge flat screen is mounted on the wall in front of the couch, and I laugh to myself at the thought of yesterday. Lana insisted on this television. She said it was great for watching the Dodgers play.

Lana loves baseball, one more thing I know about her.

I suddenly smell coffee, and know that she must be in the kitchen. I grab the blanket sitting on the couch and wrap myself up in it, feeling cold.

She walks in once I have it around me, and stops in her tracks when she sees that I'm up. A mug is sitting in her hands. We stare at each other for too long.

She breaks the stare and sits at the table behind the couch. "I'm sorry I said that to you the way I did. I couldn't help it in the moment." I say to her as she takes a seat. I still just stand there with the blanket wrapped around my body.

"It's okay. I know you didn't. It's understandable." She offers a soft smile.

I sit down across from her. "Do you want some coffee?" She immediately says, and begins to get up but I tell her "no thanks" and she sits back down.

After a moment of silence and Lana sipping her coffee, she speaks up.

"I stayed last night, but this time it was by choice." She laughs quietly. "I slept on the couch under that blanket though." She says, referring to the one currently wrapped around me.

"You could've slept in there." I tilt my head towards my bedroom. "Beck slept in the same bed with me all the time. I don't even know if that couch is comfortable." I laugh.