I'll Take You Home

*J.K. Rowling owns all of the characters*

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE TOOK MATTERS into his own hands from the very first day he laid eyes on the isolated train station. Death had grudgingly agreed to let him lead the 'lost' souls on their way to a better and happier afterlife here in the alternate Wizarding World. He was somewhat stuck in between, always balancing the components of reality and what lies ahead. His eyes glistened and reflected the blinding white light from above, making him feel unusually empty yet warm.

The old wizard leaned on the walls of the peculiarly silent King's Cross Station, the trains nowhere to be seen. He preferred his usual post on Platform 9 3/4, but today was obviously an exemption. Albus wandered the place with keen eyes, his hands clasped tightly on his back like the old days, when he was still a highly respected Headmaster. Unlike the others, he had never experienced the so-called series of 'flashbacks' while waiting for Death to claim him whole. Instead, he found himself laying there, on the very same spot where students would go to climb aboard the train to Hogwarts.

Albus was now fully informed that Regulus Arcturus Black had managed to get the locket beforehand, which leaves him to think about things more differently. If he were aware of the situation at the time, would he still wound up here, a mere guardian of the borderlines between life and death? Will he be given a second chance at best?

"No," Albus simply thought, shoving the idea aside. 

Severus himself had made it perfectly clear: until then, he'd only last for a month or two. It was only logical to make use of the precious time he had left while he still contained his soul inside his body. Tom Riddle needed to be convinced that Snape wasn't a traitor. Otherwise, his plan would tremendously fail before it even reached the climax. It took a great deal of convincing on his part, since Severus wouldn't dare to do it. He just wouldn't oblige. After making things clear, the Potions Master rarely looked him in the eye, fairly aware of what he needed to do. For Draco. To spare an innocent life from eternal punishment.

A surprising, loud cry erupted from the farthest corner of King's Cross. Albus slowed his pace, obviously curious, as a red and gold feather dropped on his shoulder. He picked it up with regard, chuckling silently to himself. A close friend had taken the time to pay him a visit.

"Ah, back again so soon, Fawkes?" Albus asked, playing his hands on the phoenix's delicate feathers.

The phoenix let out a sound which seemed to be an outburst of agreement. Its wings were outstretched in glory, shimmering contentedly and proud. Round, black eyes stared at him as Fawkes settled on his shoulders without the slightest hint of hesitation, reassuring and perfectly calm despite the uncomfortable atmosphere.

"It will only be a moment now," Albus added, continuously stroking the bird. "You'll be reborn again afterwards."

Immortal beings like Fawkes never last long in the afterlife. They may stay for a minute or so, but each will immediately disappear too, as if they had never visited the WWA in the first place. They die and live and die and live everyday. Always there, neither resting nor leaving their respective masters. He sighed inwardly. Nothing lasts long anyway.

"Watch after Hogwarts and the others, will you?" he asked in the form of a favor, particularly worried about everybody's well being. Fawkes squawked, and he took that as a yes.

The phoenix started to become one with the faint light, its red and gold feathers blending with the ever present air, as it closed its eyes momentarily. It knew the process. It knew each and every detail about the matter. The wizard couldn't help but feel happiness and sadness all at once, disappointed that he will be left alone once more. Perhaps this was really the punishment for all of his untold sins in the past. He deserved it.

"Gone so soon, dear friend?" Albus sighed. "Well, have a new and happy life, then."

There was a loud pop. Fawkes completely disappeared.

Albus continued walking after that. He passed platform by platform easily, walking calmly at a very steady pace. His heart clenched when he saw countless muggle souls, their eyes dull and hopeless, wandering the place without care. They must have done something in their past life to experience this. He thought it wasn't fair.

He was about to turn around and get back to the so-called 'Wizard Platform' when his eyes caught something worthy of his attention. A young, petite witch about fourteen stumbled along his way, her smile as bright as the morning Sun itself. She had shoulder-length, light brown hair, which was slightly curled and very soft. The witch wore a simple sky blue dress over a plain dark blue long sleeve, her gaze unmoving and filled with recognizable warmth. An undeniably important detail that Albus himself has missed for a very long time now.

"Ariana..." he murmured, speechless, as his sister gave him a comforting tight hug. "I---what are you doing here?"

"Getting you out of this awful place, what else?" Ariana replied a matter-of-factly. "I miss you, Al. Please, come with me. Mom and Dad are waiting for you there."

"I-I've done something bad," he shook his head, not wanting to look at his sister in the eye. "The three-way duel between Grindelwald, Aberforth, and I got out of hand. I was one of the people who had caused you harm, Ariana. I'm sorry. I truly am. I---"

"I don't need an explanation," Ariana stated, covering her brother's mouth with her small, pale palm. "You didn't do it intentionally. You never wanted it to happen. Al, stop dwelling in the past so much. It won't do any good. Come, let's go home. Death has already released you from this station."

"He...he did that?" he questioned in disbelief, letting Ariana take his hand slowly. A small smile crept on her delicate face as she dragged him forward, laughing wholeheartedly. There was no need for a reply. His sister's happiness was enough. The wizard smiled and walked beside Ariana, his mind clear and peaceful for the first time in years. He had to let the past go and confront it bravely. They were going back to Godric's Hollow.

"You are free, Albus. You are free," Ariana said softly.

"Yes, I am." Albus nodded, smiling. "Thank you."

The two siblings talked and laughed their way towards the small village, free from worries and gloom and doom. The first signs of their small haven stretched out before him, welcoming and very familiar. This was it. Albus has finally found his place in the afterlife.

He could rest without the slightest hint of discomfort.