Thereafter the Killing Curse {2}

*J.K. Rowling owns all of the characters.*

**~~~~~~~ Part Two ~~~~~~~**

IT WAS SATURDAY, THE NEAREST TO Mid-Summer's Day. Ottery St. Mary, the muggle counterpart of St. Catchpole, was bustling with lots of people. It was June, and the town had been decorated with banners and colorful assortments for the much-awaited festival—Pixie Day. Children were dressed in fairy costumes topped with colorful mantles, their cone-shaped caps covering most of their hair. Some of them were waving sticks—wands, Cedric presumed—in the air, giggling whilst running along the streets. They also had paint sprayed all over their faces, completing the whole cosplay.

It was nighttime. Sunset just ended, bringing about darkness like a switched-off light bulb. Cedric blended among the crowd, pretending to take part in the festivities. He wore a floral print shirt and skinny jeans, his gray eyes reflected by moonlight. His curly brown hair was being ruffled by a soft wind, though it did not bother him. The teenage wizard had to wear normal muggle clothes to blend in, modern ones that he was not used to. Then again, it would not be for long.

Just 30 minutes more, Cedric thought.

People were gathering in the town square, near the wrought iron gate of St. Mary's Church. It was a medium-sized parish inspired by Gothic architecture, its exterior made of bricks worn-out with age. Fresh grass and trees occupied the area, making the whole place emit a tranquil kind of vibe. There were old graves surrounding the church, marked with engravings that were now barely readable. Cedric shuddered when he saw them for the first time. The tombs reminded him of being in absolute darkness, a flash of green light—

And then death.

Cedric pushed the memory away. Dwelling in the past was illogical. There was nothing he could do to erase the feeling, to change everything that had happened on that night. His death had not proven useless, at least. In the midst of a duel, the wizard's 'echo' appeared before Voldemort, saving Harry. It was during Priori Incantatem, when Harry and Voldemort's wands cancelled each other out, making spells reverberate.

He had saved someone's life when he could not save himself.

Children dressed in costume gathered near the lampposts, waiting for the bell ringers to emerge from the church. Tonight, at exactly 6:30, those bell ringers would be captured and paraded to the streets—a reenactment of Ottery St. Mary's 400-year-old tale. Magic became stronger through stories like these. Cedric could already feel its power coursing through his veins.

According to legend, after the capture, the creatures imprisoned the bell ringers at Pixies' Parlour—a hideout cave located in the outskirts of town; which also turned out to be Cedric's destination.

Tonight was the only time he could access the cave and use its portal, when the bonds of magic were strong. He needed to get back to the Wizarding Afterlife, or he'd never attend WWA's Hogwarts this year.

"I knew that goblin meant trouble," Cedric murmured, remembering the humanoid being who'd transported him here in the first place; but that was another story.

Three bell ringers emerged from the church. They were all in uniform, wearing long sleeves and loose slacks, Newsboy caps put over their heads. Their faces hid the glee in their eyes, as if they were trying to act cool in the midst of all these people. One of the boys surveyed the area, his eyes narrowing as he waited for the children to appear. Silence ensued. For a moment, nothing happened.

A shrill, excited shout.

As if on cue, the 'pixies' marched towards St. Mary's Church, some of them carrying posters which read, "WE DEMAND PROTECTION!". The children scattered, surrounding the bell ringers at all sides. The older pixies tied ropes around the three boys as their allies dragged them towards the square—one by one, down the steps of the Church and en route for the curving streets.