Fusing Past with Present

*J.K. Rowling owns all of the characters.*

**~~~~~~~ 1 ~~~~~~~**

THE AIR AROUND THEM WAS both humid and cold, the wind making James's messy black hair ruffle in all sorts of directions. The four wizards (and witch) were transported under the shade of a large Yew tree, its humungous form keeping them safe from the sunlight's intensity. A far-reaching lake proudly centered the expanse of landforms and grass, having waters so deep James was sure a Giant Squid inhabited the—wait. Something was familiar about this detail—this...area.

"Alas, this was where it all started." Remus murmured, lost in memory. "Might as well end it here, too."

James looked around. The gleaming, ancient structures of Hogwarts were staring down at his tiny, wizard form, marvelous and breathtaking all at once. Its many turrets and massive towers loomed above the Great Lake, as if to show off its mere existence. I am here, it seemed to say. He could also see the bricked bridge and Great Hall and imagine the many staircases he had grown so accustomed to over the years.

Snape was not getting the least comfortable. He played with a leaf which had fallen off the tree, lost in thought. His mouth twisted into a frown when he saw James looking at him, directing his attention somewhere else. James ignored this and rolled his eyes. It seemed as though they were students again, picking petty fights and messing with each other. Well, the Marauders mostly picking on ol' Snivellus, anyway.

He thought about this. The teasing and pranks were fun at first, but James soon realized that people, no matter how awful, should never be treated that way.

Not that he blurted it out loud.

As someone who's had a crush on beautiful, brilliant Lily Evans for Merlin-knows-how-long, James had been jealous of the witch and Severus's initial closeness, and expressed what he felt through the many pranks and jokes they pulled on Snape, though Lily had hated him more because of it. He now knew why, and felt a bit guilty.

Severus loved Lily as well. Was it so wrong for a chap to feel affection toward another?

Well, James thought, it depends solely on how he acted to show it.

If Snape hadn't insulted Lily during the course of their Fifth Year, they would still be friends up to this day (or decade, really, depending on how you look at it). Was Severus silently smacking himself in the head, regretting what he had done all those years?

Lily laughed as Sirius shared one of his infamous jokes, enchanting green eyes reflecting everything she'd felt right then and there. Her auburn hair was being highlighted by the bright morning sunlight, her warm smile making James feel as breathless as he did the first time he realized his feelings for her.

Of course Snape had regretted it—every bit of it.

"We should probably start this talk of ours." Remus interrupted, magicking cups and tea out of nowhere. "It gets worse the more we make an effort to delay."

"Psh. What are we even going to discuss, Lupin?" Severus said with a sneer. "If it weren't for Dumbledore, I—"

"Wouldn't be here, blah, blah, blah." Sirius cut him off, sitting next to Remus as he regarded Snape in a thoughtful manner. "Well, you're here now, aren't you? We might as well drink tea and have a decent conversation like those muggles I see in the teh-lee."