Resurrection Stone {1}

*J.K. Rowling owns all of the characters.*

**~~~~~~~ Part One ~~~~~~~**

TWO WIZARDS STOOD ON the curb of a quiet street, their cloaks rustled by a soft wind. Around them, the leaves were dyed a shade of orange, the branches kissed by sunlight. Sparrows and Wrens flew in the distance.

Godric's Hollow blossomed with life.

Severus Snape crossed the road, opening the gate to an old house. Albus Dumbledore raced after him, his feet stomping on the pavement. At the sight of the Potters' home, his expression turned grim.

"Will you let him die, Albus?" a voice whispered in his ear, mocking. "Another sacrifice, made for the 'greater good'?"

The Headmaster shook his head, shoving the thought away. Severus approached the door and knocked.

A few seconds later, James Potter emerged. He clutched a half-eaten bread in one hand, his eyeglasses put clumsily on his face. He must have seen their expressions, because he pushed the door open and led them inside.

"Please, sit." James nodded towards the sofas. Severus and Albus collapsed on the nearest couch, exhausted.

The dining table was filled with food—dishes which made Severus's stomach growl. Settled on an armchair, Sirius Black was telling a story, his hands hovering in midair. Laughter erupted around him.

James approached the table and tapped his shoulder. He whispered something in his ear. When Sirius glanced at the wizards' direction, his voice faltered. The others noticed this and craned their heads.

There was an awkward silence.

"Something's wrong." Lily said, seeing the Headmaster's expression. She stood from her chair. "What is it?"

"Harry..." Severus began. Lily raised an eyebrow at the mention of her son. "Harry Potter is about to die."

James and Lily stiffened, their cheeks losing color. After all of their sacrifice?

Concerned that they might fall, Remus placed a hand on their shoulders, leading them towards the lounge. The others transferred there, too, and occupied the remaining couches.

When all was settled, Dumbledore cleared his throat. "Harry saw Severus's memories through the Pensieve. He discovered he is a horcrux, and will sacrifice himself to assure Voldemort's downfall."

The wizards and witches paled. Severus noted the disbelief on their faces. To a couch beside him, Fred Weasley fiddled with his fingers, refusing to look up. An uncomfortable silence surrounded them.

"We must move," Severus cut in, his voice firm. "This might prove difficult, but the Headmaster has certain...theories." he nodded at Lily and James. "Harry can be saved."

The pair sighed with relief. They looked towards the Headmaster, who nodded in confirmation.

"Voldemort used Harry's blood to regenerate." Dumbledore explained. "Therefore, both are bounded by Lily's protection—the one she gave Harry on that night." the Headmaster paused, seeing some of them wince. "This protection will make Harry difficult to kill."

"But it is not enough," Severus shook his head. "The protection does not ensure Harry's survival. Voldemort will use the Killing Curse against him." his voice turned grim. "And, unlike Harry's first encounter with it, I fear this one might end his life."

Sirius whispered a prayer for his godson's safety. There was worry in his eyes. Severus realized how lucky Harry was, to have people like Padfoot caring for him, even in the afterlife.

"Unless we prevent his death," Dumbledore countered, and for a moment, his eyes shone. "Harry will activate the Resurrection Stone soon enough. I am sure he will call for some of you."

Just then, Lily's breathing became heavy. James put an arm around her, taking her hand in his.

"We'll save him, my love," he promised, kissing the top of Lily's head. In the embrace, his wife seemed to relax, and leaned closer to him.

"We must." she whispered back, resting her head on James's shoulder.

Severus should've been jealous at the show of affection, but he was not. Though Lily had not returned his feelings, they were still friends. And that, he thought, was more than enough.

"What should we do, Headmaster?" Sirius asked, his voice firm. "I may not have survived, but I will do anything to secure my godson's."

"Talk to him." Dumbledore replied, hands folded on his lap. "That is the best solution, after all."

Sirius raised an eyebrow at him. "Could it be that easy?" he frowned, disbelief on his face.

"Those who will be called by the Stone must assure that Lily's protection is working," the Headmaster said, "and strengthen it at all costs."

At that conclusion, Remus's eyes seemed to glimmer, his mouth curving into a smile.

"The protection is strengthened by love." he realized. "That's why you want us to converse with him."

"Indeed," Severus nodded. "Lily's love created that protection, and only love itself can enhance it."

"So, we have two goals—One: be summoned by the Stone, then Two: talk to Harry." Sirius made a 'thumbs-up' gesture. "I've got it."

James smirked in an amused manner, rolling his eyes. Sirius knew how to brighten the mood. Seeing his expression, his best friend smiled. Tension in the room eased, just a little.

"The protection may not be enough, but it is our only hope." Dumbledore said. "If all of you can strengthen it, the Killing Curse will severe the horcrux alone, leaving Harry's soul unscathed."

Lily and James released a deep, frustrated sigh. Dumbledore's plan might not work, but it was still a plan.

On his seat, Albus released a low groan, startling everyone. He placed a hand on his temple, in an effort to steady himself. A boy had whispered five words into his mind: "I am about to die."

Dumbledore knew it was time.

"Prepare yourselves." the Headmaster said, standing from the couch. He fixed his robes and eyed each of them, including Severus. "Harry Potter has activated the Stone."

Severus could see the anticipation on everyone's faces, excluding his. Everyone tried to make sense of the situation, mulling over their messages to Harry—just in case. So Severus closed his eyes, and pondered at that.

There was no fancy 'pop' or strong wind to indicate that someone had been chosen. All Snape knew was, by the time he'd opened his eyes again, Harry had taken four people.

The wizard looked around.

James, Lily, Remus, and Sirius were nowhere to be seen.

A/N:

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Hey, Potterheads!

Once again, I present a two-part chapter! "Part Two"has already been finished, though, so don't worry! (EDIT: Sorry, editing was harder than expected; will be posting as soon as it is polished.) :) (P.S. This happens during the events of "Deathly Hallows", but I guess you already knew that...lol.)

After "Part Two", we only have two chapters left. Thanks for accompanying me through this journey.

Keep safe!

Lots of love,

E.J. Marin