Triumphant At Last

*J.K. Rowling owns all of the characters.*

THE SIDEWALK WAS COATED with snow. Lily's teeth chattered as she tightened her coat, locking both arms around her waist. Sirius was glaring at the window now, and so were the others. "Hurry up, James!"

But James was still checking his reflection. He'd paired the black trench coat with a maroon shirt, then fixed his hair as best as he could. It was splendid. He looked splendid.

"James Fleamont Potter!"

At Lily's voice, the wizard scurried downstairs, his feet stomping on the wood. He opened the front door and greeted his friends a 'blessed morning' like nothing happened.

"Blessed late, that is." Sirius rolled his eyes. His best friend wore a formal attire today—they all did.

"Well..." James held his hands up. "Beauty comes with a price, mate."

Sirius scoffed, but there was amusement on his face. James grinned.

"Right, we've got to go!" Lily exclaimed. She took James's hand and ran, the others trailing behind them.

**~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~**

THE TOWN SQUARE WAS festive, prepped for the occasion. Garlands twirled around lampposts. Christmas lights blinked in each corner. When they passed the entrance, people smiled. It was a splendid morning.

"Seasons change quickly here." a voice mused. "I mean, it's winter again! That's peculiar, don't you think?"

A woman with blonde hair went beside them. She wore a lab coat over her lavender blouse, expression wholly curious. She had keen silver eyes. Removing a hand from her pocket, she introduced herself.

"I'm Pandora Lovegood." the woman shook their hands. "It's a pleasure to meet you all."

"Likewise." Lily smiled. "Did you come to enjoy the festivities?"

"Oh...no." Pandora shook her head. "I'm here for research, actually. A plant species in Godric's Hollow has caught my attention." she showed them a container. "I'm getting samples for my lab."

"Brewing a potion?" Lily asked, suddenly interested.

"Well..." the witch shrugged. "Something like that."

More people entered the square. Some of them wore formal attire, too, like James and his friends. When Pandora took note of the growing crowd, she straightened her coat.

"That's my cue." she turned, waving good-bye. "I don't like big crowds, so I'll excuse myself now." she paused. "But I'll be watching the celebration!"

At that, Pandora Lovegood walked away. It would be the first of many encounters.

**~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~**

A WOODEN STAGE WAS built at the center of the square. There was a podium above it, where a guest might speak. James was assuming, anyway. He didn't even recognize the people around him. It was the first time such a gathering took place.

Fred led them near the wooden stage. Sirius leaned on its back, his eyes scanning the crowd—shocked. Remus and Tonks went beside him, grinning. It was a huge contrast from yesterday, when Tonks was crying and Remus appeared frustrated.