Of Portraits and Something Better

*J.K. Rowling owns all of the characters.*

A RETRO CAMERA CAPTURED the exterior of a medium-sized store. It was a famous haven for readers, painted entirely in green. There were two bow windows at the front, displaying textbooks ranging from all kinds of topics, magical or otherwise. The interior seemed cozy, with lamplights that hung from the ceiling and books strewn almost everywhere, reaching the second landing's topmost shelf. Golden cursive letters were also written on the bookstore's entrance, reading "FLOURISH AND BLOTTS".

A young wizard was standing in front of the shop, smiling. He fiddled with his camera as shots came out—live, moving pictures which seemed blurry at first, but turned out splendid once focused. The teen had mousy hair that almost curled up to his shoulders, plus inquisitive brown eyes which sparkled when intrigued.

"It's wonderful of you to stop by, Colin!" a middle-aged man grinned, his left hand planted on the bookstore's doorknob. "Send me those pictures if you have time, will you? I'm sure the shots are lovely!"

"I will, Sir Vonn!" Colin replied, enthusiastic. "I'll just stop by the other shops for a bit!"

Sir Vonn smiled and went inside the bookstore, humming a catchy tune to himself. Last week, he found Colin inside the Leaky Cauldron, all alone, lost in the afterlife with no companion. Then, feeling sorry for him, Sir Vonn took Colin to Diagon Alley, where the teen has been staying ever since...well. Death was a sensitive topic.

WWA's Diagon Alley wasn't horrible. If anything, it was different from that of the real Wizarding World's.

Shops—ancient, new, or both—lined up at each street, beckoning consumers to buy the latest broomstick, avail of much-improved robes (which now transformed at will for convenience), or even book the latest flights via TerrorTours. The stalls increased in size, and even Gringgots changed drastically, now marveling twice as tall as the original, colored gold instead of white.

The cobblestone path shimmered from time to time, emitting a kind of glow which tugged at Colin's heart, reminding him that someone from the living world remembered, honoring his sacrifice at the Battle of Hogwarts. His memories of death were a bit blurry, like a dream which had gone astray, lost forever. Colin only knew that he was there, and the next moment he was gone. The teen tried not to think much about it. There was nothing he could do anyway.

Besides, Colin thought, If I were to go back, I'd make that sacrifice again and again.

For the Wizarding World, a voice in his mind echoed.

For the Wizarding World, he agreed.

Colin Creevey continued to walk, snapping pictures here and there. WWA's Diagon Alley was filled with wonder, possessing an air of magic that withstood the original's. Each stall seemed to have its own kind of aura, but all were equally welcoming and kind. Nothing horrible existed here. Anything else had its own dimension tucked somewhere deep in the world.

Colin passed by Eeylops Emporium. It was a small, dull-painted shop which hosted several white columns near the entrance, where owls usually perched on. The interior had made an effort to contrast the shop's pale color by placing lamps and creative light fixtures, which highlighted the owls' large, curious eyes. Metal cages hung from the ceiling, each beholding a different species of owl: Barn, Burrowing, Great Horned, and even the Snowy—

He paused. There, perched atop one of the ancient columns, was Hedwig.

Her yellow orbs glistened in the afternoon light, and it seemed like she was trying to make herself cozy. Colin watched her, fascinated. The owl had gained popularity in WWA, after her notable death during the Second Wizarding War. The wizarding folk were very fond of her, though she rarely dropped by. Hedwig was known to frequently disappear from time to time, as if she were still searching for Harry's presence. This made Colin sad.