Chapter 18

My interview letter arrived at lunchtime. Adam disturbed us with it. My interview was timed for 10.30 the following day. Charles delivered my coffee with a glass of water for Grant while I read it. Adam had discovered the name of my co-worker and her address – Sarah - and she didn't live far from me. I left it with the letter. Charles had made us a light lunch and we opted to eat with the others in the main room. Luke was absent, presumably finding food as requested, although John had returned with a knapsack and two jackets for me. The mood had lifted significantly and the food dwindled rapidly. I checked on Nigel who remained asleep, although he no longer appeared so pale. The blood had clotted well. Bess joined me.

"No bones were broken, so he will be ready to move when we leave. He will learn to accept the scars. He made his choice."

"It doesn't make it right, but I respect his freedom to choose."

"Yet you reprimanded Luke."

"He enjoyed disciplining him. He should have remained impartial."

"You twist the knife, yet his respect for you has grown. I am not so easy with my respect, Sholry."

"Which will make it all the sweeter when I gain it, Bess. I am not your enemy."

"My Talgen has a great deal of honour. I do not yet believe you are worthy of such a man."

I glanced out of the doorway at Grant. He was talking to John, sitting on his haunches. What was I doing with such a handsome man who clearly loved me when I did not know him?

"You are not the only one, Bess." I said, turning away from her.

I returned to my bedroom for some solitude. I read my novel for a while before drifting off to sleep. I dreamed. I was being chased through a forest again, everything orange, the faceless hunter gaining ground as I ran through trees. I looked back often to gauge how close he was, and then I heard Grant's voice.

Let me catch up, let me reach you. Take control.

I slowed. My pursuer was close. I fought against speeding up again, keeping an even pace. He was much closer - I could hear him panting. I looked behind again and recognised Grant's features.

Sholry, let me catch up, let me reach you. You're safe with me.

I stopped and turned, opening my arms. Grant ran into them. I closed my arms around him. His mouth fell on mine, his passion barely restrained as he plundered my mouth with his tongue, heaving great breaths from the exertion. I felt my belly tighten again. I woke, gasping for breath, my chest tight but not from panic. Grant held me in his arms, also panting, and his eyes dark.

"You're safe now, Sholry." His lips claimed mine again. I melted into his embrace.

- I'm not too sure I'm safe from you. You make me feel things I've never felt before.

Nice things?

- Yes.

Abso-bloody-lutely marvellous!

I threw all my new feelings into the kiss, copying what he did until he groaned and pulled away.

"Eloisa." He sighed my name like a prayer, his brow touching mine.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"Not at all. You make me want to do something that may not be right."

"What something?"

"You make me want to love you completely, to make you mine."

"You have not done so already?"

"No. That was just a taster. I think it's what enabled you to see me...your taste of me."