Chapter 6 - Veronica

Previously: "We're not gonna remember this tomorrow, are we?"

"Nope."

Keith turned away and trudged up the driveway, knocking on the door when he got to it, not seeing the note that was taped to the door until after he knocked.

Keith,

I'm going to bed. There are blankets on the couch. Make sure the door closes behind you.

He shrugged, opening the door and walking in, making sure to close the door behind him. Keith walked into the living room and over to the couch, face planting into the blankets.

Lance thought it was odd that Keith knocked on the door, but shrugged it off, opening the door to his house and stepping inside.

"Lance." He heard his twin say his name, but only looked into the living room. Seeing Veronica on the couch with a half full wine glass in her hand, he walked over and plopped onto the couch next to her. "I stayed later than the others. She was worried about you. She told me everything."

Lance looked up at her, his voice cracking as he spoke. "W-what?"

"Honestly, I don't know if I should be more upset that you didn't tell me, that you went to a bar without me tonight, or that Rachel is afraid she's not gonna make it." Veronica said, turning to her brother. He looked down again, leaning into her shoulder.

"I'm sorry." Lace said wrapping his arms around her torso. Veronica set her wine glass on the end table, wrapping one arm around her twin's shoulders.

"Tomorrow, I get to go drink."

Lance smiled, "Then I'll have to introduce you to Keith."

"Keith?" Veronica gently punched Lance up, her way of telling him to go to bed.

"Yeah, I'll have to tell him about you when I'm less drunk and hungover."

She giggled, "Okay, come on." They stood up together, Lance leading the way to their bedroom. He peeled off his jacket, letting it fall onto the floor as he kicked his shoes and crawled into the bed. "Make sure you sleep on your side!"

"Yeah, yeah, I got it V." Veronica walked over to her side of the room when she was sure Lance wasn't going to fall out of the bed. "Goodnight V."

"Night, Lance."

~~~~~~~~

The next morning, Lance got up late. Luckily, he had slept through most of his hangover and it wasn't raining so there was no children running around inside.

Climbing out of bed, he made his way down to the kitchen where V was reading a book at the table. He sat down across from her, burying his face in his arms. V got up and walked around the island, getting Lance a glass of water and some ibuprofen. He sat up when she came back to the table, unquestioningly taking the ibuprofen.

"So, who's Keith?" She asked, sitting next to him at the end of the table.

Lance thought for a minute, trying to remember what had happened the night before. "Uh... I'm pretty sure he's an alcoholic"

"What?" V asked, concerned that her brother was describing some guy he couldn't stop smiling about the night before as an alcoholic.

"Well, he's a good person, and I think there's a lot of shot going on in his life because of the way the townspeople treat him, and he drinks for free so he's there a lot..."

"An alcoholic drinks for free?"

"Yeah, the bartender mentioned something to him about singing multiple times, and when he was drunk enough he did sing... he was really good too, and more people kept coming in when he sang." Lance did his best to explain the situation with what little information he could remember, and eventually he got it all out. "One of the bartenders was talking to me about him and said they let him drink for free because that's the only way to get him to sing, and when he does they make a lot of money from the people who come in to hear him sing." Veronica nodded, "It's not like they don't care about what happens to him either, because before they let him walk out with me, they asked if they should call Shiro to come pick him up, who by the way lives across the street from us."

Lance was interrupted by Veronica's phone buzzing on the table. She pulled it over and looked at the screen. She had a text from an unknown number. 

GUUUUUUUUUUUYS I'm falling behind. But, I'm hoping that it was just because of a technical crisis that as far as I know has been averted. So YAY!

Don't die! 

Don't die!