Chapter 9 - Motorcycle

Previously: "I got it." Came another voice.

"Keith?" Lance said, surprised to be seeing the same boy 3 separate times over the course of the past 16 hours.

"Oh, hey Lance." He replied, half smiling. "Muffler on that thing finally quit?" He gestured to the '67 Ford that the twins had come in.

"Haha, multiple times actually." V answered, smiling, "But I've fixed it before, so that's not why we're here. I'm his twin Veronica by the way."

"Nice to meet you." He politely shook her hand after wiping his own off on a rag. "So, if you're not here for repairs, are you looking to buy something?"

"Yea, we get to pick out something to share." V replied. Keith led them around the outside of the building to the side lot, were there were a couple pick up trucks and other various cars parked closer to the building.

"Everything in this parking lot is for sale for the right price. They're estimated at roughly 15 to 20 grand each." Keith informed. He was talking to both Lance and V, but Lance wasn't listening. He was too busy staring at Keith's crimson red Indian Scout Sixty.

"Okay, so no Chevys, nothing foreign either. So that leaves two pickups and-"

"That's an Indian Scout... but modern!" Lance interrupted, eyes wide, with a huge grin on his face, "Is that yours?" He asked, turning to Keith.

Keith hesitated, then smiled. "Yeah, it's a Scout Sixty. I've had it for almost two years now." Veronica rolled her eyes and continued checking out the other cars while the boys went over to Keith's bike.

"Wait, that's a 6 cylinder. That's not factory is it?" Lance asked.

"Uh, no it's not. I modified it about 6 months ago and have been tweaking everything else ever since." Keith replied, gradually becoming more fond of the lanky Cuban. "I didn't think anyone would notice."

"How? The engine cover is different, and the red and black stand out against the white pin striping that highlights the cover and pegs like a rainbow in a black and white movie!"

Keith blinked, "... your sister didn't seem to notice." Lance just shrugged.

"Lance! Come pick one." Veronica yelled over, gesturing to the three vehicles Keith had suggested.

The boys walked back over to her and Lance stared at the trucks for a minute. "What's the mpg for these two?" He asked Keith.

He frowned, "The grey one is around 12, and I'm pretty sure the blue one is 14."

Both trucks were F150s, but one was a '12 while the other was a '16. Lance walked over to the back, noting the extended bed on the navy pickup. He walked over to the driver side and looked in the window, smiling at the black interior and floor liners that were in the front and back seats. Turning around, he went to the passenger side window of the light grey '12, looking in at the tan leather seats, frowning at the lack of a backseat.

Keith studied Lance's poker face as he walked back over, standing in on the other side of his sister facing the trucks. "Which one did you pick?" he asked.

"I kinda like the grey one." Lance turned to her with a bewildered expression, glancing at Keith, who was also looking at her like she was insane. He smiled a little at the other boy, glad that at least someone else in the conversation was smart when it came to mechanics.

"Um..." Lance's voice was a higher pitch than normal as he realized she was serious. "Let me tell you why we're not getting that one." He started, "First of all, it doesn't have a backseat, second, it had tan leather interior, third, it's a 2012 so it'll need more maintenance than the '16, and fourth, it gets 12 miles per gallon as oppose to the blue one's 14 and five black fabric seats."

Keith was once again surprised by Lance's mechanical knowledge, and smiled a little, "You can take it for a test drive if you want." He told her.

"Okay, yeah." V said politely. Keith nodded, walking back into the building to grab the keys. Once he was out of earshot, she spoke again. "I'm not that stupid."

"Thank god, 'cause I really couldn't tell." Lane replied, earning a playful punch in the shoulder. "But, if you're not that stupid, then why'd you say that one?" He asked, gesturing to the grey Ford.

"Because I knew you'd explain why the blue one is better." She said, turning back towards the building.