protect

There was a tension between the boys for the next few days, freezing their relationship like ice on a lake. Namjoon had hardly spoken to Jin when he got home, late, from speaking with Yoongi and Taehyung, and when Jin had asked what was wrong, he replied with a vague "oh, nothing."

The taller's whole manner had changed since the meeting. He wasn't as affectionate towards Seokjin anymore, when before he had always been touching him in some way. He wasn't interested in doing anything or going on another date, preferring to sit alone doing schoolwork or typing something on his phone.

He was distant at school as well, disappearing at break and lunch before Jin could invite him to sit with the group. Jin's friends didn't mind this too much; they still hadn't really warmed up to Namjoon.

Jimin looked up from his food when Jin sat down, alone again and looking confused.
"Hi hyung! No Namjoon today?" He kept his voice light in case this was a sensitive topic at the moment.
"Nope." Jin sighed. "He doesn't really talk to me all that much anymore,"

Hoseok frowned as he overheard this and leant in so he could hear them better.
"What's his problem?"
"I don't know. He came back from meeting Taehyung and Yoongi and he was just... weird. Like, cold."

Jimin and Hoseok exchanged a look. They had talked before about Namjoon, and they were worried that he was just leading Jin on, or that he would go back to how he used to be. Jimin pushed his lunch tray away.

"But he's still living with you, right?" Seokjin nodded.
"Yep." Hoseok opened his mouth to speak a few times before deciding on his words.
"Jin... we thought something like this might happen." Jimin nodded and Jin frowned.
"What do you mean?"
"Well, he was so horrible before. Why would he change so fast just to date someone?"

It made sense to Jin, but he didn't want to believe it. Namjoon had changed because he loved him. That was what he had been told and that was what he wanted desperately to be true. So he shook his head at the two boys and kept on frowning. He seemed to always be frowning recently.

"No, don't say that. He... he changed because he wanted to. They probably just said something to him and he's a bit upset. Thats all," He sounded more like he was trying to convince himself than anything. Jimin and Hoseok were looking at him in concern when he turned his gaze back to them, which fustrated Jin a bit. He just wanted them to believe him that Namjoon was a good person.

"Jin-" Jimin begun to speak but was cut off when Seokjin stood up abruptly.
"No! Stop... stop thinking you know Namjoon because you don't! I'll deal with it by myself!" And with that he stormed away, leaving the others shocked by his harsh tone, no trace of his usual humour left in it.

Sooyoung was coming through the doorway just as Jin approached, and she smiled at the sight of him.
"Seokj-"

He didn't even look at her, just carried on with his gaze fixed straight ahead. She sighed. Something must be really wrong for him to not even nod at her as he passed. And obviously something had happened; most of the cafeteria had their eyes focussed on the space where he had been, whispering and giggling to eachother behind cupped hands.

Jimin and Hoseok were sat at the group's regular table, looking surprised and a bit guilty. They spotted Sooyoung as she started walking towards them, ignoring the stares. People knew she was friends with Jin, and they wanted to know ehat had gone on. Any gossip possible was milked to the extreme in this school, like most high schools.

"So who's going to explain to me what just happened?!" Jimin blushed a little and failed to meet her eyes, Hoseok looking down in shame. They hadn't meant to make Jin upset, they just wanted to warn him. They had known Namjoon since freshman year and he had always been the same; cold, mean, and distant. It seemed very off that he had met Jin and suddenly changed so much, and they just wanted to protect their new friend.