whisper

Usually, the people at parties had been invited and were all of a similar social status. Hoseok and his group would normally attend a party with others like them; people that were neither loved nor hated, just kind of ignored generally. The more popular kids would have their own parties, which would probably be uncomfortable for everyone there as they felt compelled to uphold their reputations. It was what everyone was used to and what happened most of the time. But not at this party.

Almost everyone in the school was at this party, filling every inch of the host's massive house. No room was empty, with people spilling out into the garden and onto the streets, dancing, talking, kissing. Hoseok had told his dad an address that Jin knew was wrong the second they had pulled up beside a regular family home. All the lights were out and the neighbourhood was still.

"Are you sure this is the house?" Hoseok's dad asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah! It's like a disco kinda thing. The guy has blackout curtains and little lights so it's all magical," He said this very convincingly, and the rest of the group confirmed his explanation when his dad turned around with a questioning expression.

"Alright then. How are you guys getting home?" This was addressed to the others as he had already agreed for Hoseok to sleep at the house when the party finished. Everyone called out random things until he sighed and let them go, but not before a speech on saying no to alcohol.

Jin saw exactly why they had gone to so much effort to deceive Hoseok's dad once they turned the corner and saw the real location of the party. The pavement was almost jumping under their feet with the loud music, and it was a miracle that the police weren't here already. Sooyoung lead the way into the house, parting the crowd momentarily for the group to slip through the front door. Hoseok immediately went up to a guy that Jin had never seen before and they talked animatedly for a few seconds before heading into the kitchen. Hoseok turned and beckoned for the others to follow him.

Jimin was now beside Jin, pouting a little at being apart from his boyfriend. The girls were muttering to each other behind them, and Jin noticed with a smile how Sooyoung grabbed Irene's hand to pull her through the sea of sweaty teenagers. The kitchen had a little more breathing space, and you could actually stand normally without being squashed and shoved about. The stranger's voice was audible now, and he was pouring something into a red cup as he spoke to Hoseok.

"Grab a drink guys!" He told them. "Anything you want." The counter was full with various bottles and cans of alcohol, neatly stacked clean cups and random half-full cups with who knows what in them.

Jin just watched as the others poured themselves drinks, restraining himself. He didn't want to make a fool out of himself at the first major social gathering he had been to at this school, especially not when Namjoon was here and might see him. Irene saw him stood awkwardly with empty hands shoved into his pockets and frowned.

"Don't tell me you don't drink because I know that's not true!" She thrust her cup towards him and watched expectantly. Seokjin caved eventually as he saw that she wasn't going to give up, and took a sip of the golden liquid. Beer. He laughed to himself but wasn't surprised. He had expected Irene to go for a weaker drink.

The alcohol felt good. The familiar burn at the back of his throat made him want more, so he went back to the counter and poured himself his own drink – vodka. If he was here, he may as well enjoy it. He finished pouring just in time to follow the others through the door and into what he guessed was the living room, which was somehow even louder. They stood in an empty corner, none of them comfortable to join in yet. Jimin had obviously chugged his drink and was looking a little pink already, his arm slung lazily around Hoseok's shoulder. The older's friend had gone now, and Jimin was making the most of it. Ten minutes later, both boys had joined the group of people dancing in the middle of the room, whispering into each other's ears as they swayed.

Jin was so wrapped up in watching the couple, absolutely not wishing that he and Namjoon could be like that, that he didn't notice Jungkook enter the house. He jumped when the younger put a hand on his shoulder and spun round.

"Oh, Kookie! I thought I wasn't going to see you today,"

"Yeah, I pretended to be sick. I needed new gear." He gestured down his body to his feet, where he wore a brand new pair of boots, timberlands to be exact.
"Predictable." Jin giggled as Jungkook hit his arm in mock offense.
"How rich is this guy? His house is massive,"

"Very rich," Jungkook answered. "How do you think he got on the football team? Not skill, for sure." Jin nodded. There was some rich popular kid who practically owned the town in every school.
"And his parents just let him have these parties. They literally leave town for him."

They chatted for a while until Jungkook realised that he needed a drink, and Jin trailed after him to get a refill. The kitchen was fuller now as more and more people arrived, trying to be 'fashionably late'. They had to fight through the doorway and Jin was glad of his empty cup - he didn't want people getting angry at him for spilling stuff on them.

A small group of boys stood around the end of the counter where all the drinks were lined up. Jungkook seemed to know them, and grinned as he noticed them.
"Jungkook!" This was shouted by the youngest-looking, who had wide eyes and adorably floppy hair. Jungkook ran over and hugged him, greeting the other boys.

Seokjin stood back, not wanting to impose on the conversation. He squashed the outside of the plastic cup awkwardly as he observed the boys Jungkook was talking to. There were five in the group, including the one that had shouted earlier. One in particular caught his attention; he was dressed all in black with a flannel tied around his waist, and he looked like the type to carry a guitar around school with him.

The boy noticed Jin staring and smiled, beckoning him over.
"Hey! We're about to do shots, come join us!" Jin ambled over nervously, a tight smile on his lips, and stood near Jungkook. The younger grinned up at him and handed him a single-use plastic shot glass, tinted purple and filled with a liquid that no one seemed able to name.

After the group had drank, a tall guy with bleached blonde hair turned to Jin.
"Hey, man," he seemed friendly enough, so Jin smiled and greeted him in return.
"Hi! I'm Jin, Jungkook's friend," Said boy had crossed the room and was stood with one of the boys, pouring more drinks.
"That guy over with Jungkook is Wonpil," He explained. "And these are Sungjin, Younghyun, and Dowoon. Oh, and I'm Jae." He gestured around the group and then to himself, as the boys nodded and smiled respectively.

The one who Jin was particularly interested in was Younghyun. He hadn't stopped looking at Jin since they had been introduced, and kept a smile on his face. His face lit up when he smiled and it made Jin want to squeeze his cheeks. The other three turned and started a conversation, leaving Jin and Younghyun in an awkward silence until the latter turned to Jin.

"How's your night going, Jin?"
"Alright, I guess. I'm just a bit paranoid." Younghyun raised an eyebrow so he continued. "My... boyfriend is here but we aren't talking at the moment."
"He sounds like a dick," Jin smiled at his bluntness.

They chatted for a while, Younghyun comforting Jin. After twenty minutes or so, Jin knew that they went to different schools, and his English name was Brian. Jin was fully prepared to stay with him for the rest of the night, but Jungkook tapped him on the shoulder and drew Jin's eyes away from Brian's smile.

"We're going outside, you coming?" Looking behind him, Jin saw the girls stood by the doorway, obviously waiting.
"Yeah, sure." Jungkook left, leaving Jin to follow, and Brian sighed.
"Damn it. I was enjoying talking to you."
"Me too. I'll see you later?"

Brian nodded in response and Jin turned to follow the others. He was suddenly stopped by a hand on his hand and felt a body press up against his back.
"Come and find me if you want a good time, Jin." He had leant in to whisper this into Jin's ear. He was so close that his hair tickled his pink cheeks, and Jin froze to the spot for a moment. When he turned around to find him again, Brian was nowhere to be seen.