Chapter Zwei

July 8th, 2017

4:15am

Was it really a year ago? Doesn't feel like it, not in the slightest. It felt more like a decade or an eon. Doctor said it was a miracle I survived the attempt on my life. A man that I once had the gall to call a friend, a man I trusted... Why? What turned my best friend from elementary school to a cold-blooded murderer? I suppose it didn't matter now, I hope he's dead. No, death is too good for him; rotting in a cell for the rest of his life is more like it. I vow if he ever shows himself again, I will bring him down.

"Hey Max, sorry to tell you this, you forgot a case." He slapped the folder on my, already cluttered desk. Other files, remnants of fast food, coffee and gum wrappers littered my dark oak desk. I was meant to be out of here in the next hour, but Commissioner Jim found my "lost" folder. "Jordy Bourbon was found dead on the scene. Cause of death, gunshot, weapon of use was a Mossberg 240 shotgun. Body was found under the Westside bridge, what of it?"

"What of it? Write the damn report, on my desk before you leave!"

"Yes, sir." I couldn't argue with him, even if I wanted to. No time to waste and coffee to down, best get to work. I took the folder off the desk, opened it in front of me and flicked on my computer. As I was about to read more in depth, the commissioner's phone rang. I ignored it and went back to the file, I just want to head home.

The commissioner ran out of his office, grabbing his trench coat while darting towards me. "Max, get your coat!"

"Why, what's the situation?"

"Man called, said there was a homicide on fifty-second, the street apartments. I got the address, let's go. You drive!" Well fuckin' A, I don't get to write the report.

Some officers had already arrived and made a perimeter. I observed the frightened neighbors outside talking to some patrol officers. Bumping one of my cars wheel on the sidewalk, I parked and stepped out alongside Jim.

Jim and I strolled inside the building, patrol officers guarding every inch of the apartments. A patrol officer was outside of the crime scene, standing like a glorified sentry. Forced to mind the door until I arrive, which I did, but I walked ever so slowly. A little harmless torture for my utter amusement.

"Stand down son, let us through." The youngster stepped aside and I was left a grizzly sight to behold in my eyes.

"Fuck me Max, this is horrific! The color doesn't match the walls at all!" Jim's humor was always poorly timed and rarely appreciated.

"More of a comedian rather than a commissioner."

"If I recall you're more of a victim than a cop." That comment was annoyingly obtuse of him. Recalling such an event when it was a year ago, why bring up shit again and again. It wasn't the first time he brought it up either and it never got off my nerves.

He actually found it rather amusing that one of the best detectives was stabbed in the station. "Brandly Savaneer; too young. Didn't deserve a fate like this."

"They never do Max."

"Stabbed repeatedly, cause of death is either shock or loss of blood. The coroner will have to determine that. By then I'll write a full report."

"Haven't seen a scene like this in months, a year maybe. Any ideas?"

"We'll question loved ones, possible spouse or partner. Too planned out for a gang, too random for a serial killer... I'd say a domestic violence gone wrong or some physco letting off a little steam."

"Anything interesting about the body?" He looked around the room while I loomed over the corpse inspecting what I could. Just a bloodied body stabbed multiple times. "Nothin' out of the-"

"See something?"

"By your feet." He looked down and saw a little green slip of paper. "Looks like a sticky note."

"Who folds a sticky note?" He exhaled and didn't think much of it, bending down to pick it up, his expression shifted. "It says, 'Happy Anniversary-'" His voice dropped and I felt a sudden twitch of fear spark within me.

"What does it say?"

"Happy Anniversary... Max." My heart flatlined... Hank? It's Hank? He did this? "Hank... It's fucking Hank! Fuck! Fuck! Fucking fuck!" Wailing my hands around in anger, I wanted to bash everything, but I couldn't destroy the crime scene. "You think Hank did this?"

"No, it was Santa Claus who loves... Of course it's Hank you pretentious douchebag! What other reason to kill Brandly? Why leave a green note with my name on it. Do you see another detective named Max on this department?!"

"Watch your tone, remember to whom you are speaking to! I understand your emotion, but calm, the fuck, down!" He was right, even though I didn't want to admit it. I just want to bash my head in... No, I want to bash his head in!

"Get an APB up on Hank Keegan! I want this sick son of bitch found and behind bars. Now!" I left my radio outside, so the commissioner left the room to give the order.

I went to the window of the apartment. Brooding over the flashing red and blue lights, with the dark night with the fluffy clouds blocking out all the stars.

"Where are you Hank? Why now, why Brandly..." My own reflection is all I could focus on in the glass. It angered me to see my own face. But it wasn't because I was ugly or anything.

"I'm coming to get you Hank... No matter where you are... No matter how far you are... It doesn't matter how many lives are lost in that time... I will hunt you down and lock you up. You best be cautious, because one fuck up is all it takes for the wolf to find a rabbit... Now, it's time to go down the rabbit hole."

"Nice monologue, Max."

"Shut up!"