Chapter Pump

July 8th, 2017

12:12pm

I was having that nightmare again.

The same dream where I was standing in the middle of a city, surrounded by dead bodies. A knife clutched in my hand, and blood covering my white button up shirt and slacks. The bodies all represented someone I had killed. Two more had arrived in this dreamscape than last time. The bodies of Jordy and Brandly.

A bully that deserved to die so that they didn't have to hurt anyone.

This dream was like all the others I had before; I'd turn around and I'd see Max, then he'd point his pistol at me and shoot me where I stood.

Except that didn't happen this time. When I turned around, Max wasn't there. He was standing next to me. His stomach was gushing crimson. Bandages covered his arms and eyes. Instead of shooting me, he reached for me.

"Why did you do this, Hank?" The corpse of Max asked, I flinched. "Why did you have to kill me? We could've been friends, more than that. But you, you had to go and ruin it."

My eyes shoot open like two pistols. My heart is pounding and I'm covered in sweat. My eyes take in the rays of sunlight shooting out from the blinds. It's midday by now from what I could guess. The hustle and bustle of the city is in full swing. Without a doubt I've slept too long.

Why was Max? I shook my head. No, he hasn't found me in a year. I doubt he'd find me now.

I throw off my raggedy blanket and slip on my sneakers. My stomach was growling. Must be lunch time. I reach into my duffel bag for any food. Rats. I'm out of any sort of food. Looks like I'll have to stop by the LOOP if I want to get some more food. I'm not in the robbing mood, I'll just use the money I stole to buy some basic necessities I suppose.

After locking up the old place, I grabbed "my" wallet, well, it's mine now. And headed down the street toward the gas station. It was a short walk. I tried to avoid going out in public as much as possible in case the police managed to spot me.

I let out a long sigh when I saw that the gas station was mostly empty. Nobody liked this part of town, so I could understand why. I bought myself a sandwich and a drink. Along with some bread, granola bars, and treats for later. Stuff that would last a long time so I wouldn't have to head outside again. I thanked the gas station cashier and headed back on my way.

The way home was a little bit more tiresome. I saw a few cop cars pass by, so I had to duck into the alleyway and wait for them to leave. Luckily, none of them saw me. I mean, the last thing I wanted was to be caught. I get it, murdering isn't the best way of going about things.

But if I killed all the bullies, then they wouldn't be able to hurt anyone else. I needed freedom from the cops if I was going to be continuing my work.

Let me explain.

Bullies are people that purposely hurt others for their own selfish agenda. Maybe it makes them feel better, I don't know. Brandly? After some research, it turns out she was recently hired by a computer engineering company. She was hired as a manager, but began siphoning money out of the company while she wrote up the reports. Stealing from her own employees. The police never caught her, but I did. Walking down the street just last night. Too bad she won't be around to siphon any more money from the hardworking people she took it from.

As for Jordy? He was an ex-con man. He used to kill others for money and cheat his way to being wealthy. Observation told me he left that life behind. I let him live a little longer than the rest, but when the time came, he had to pay for his crimes. A painless gunshot did the trick for him.

I was a guardian angel of this city. All the evil had to be purged. If I had to kill, so be it.

As for Max? I was his idea of a serial killer. But to me, I was his guardian. I would never let anything hurt Max. In our early days of being a cop, I killed all those who wronged him. He didn't appreciate it. Why wouldn't he at least say thank you? Ungrateful bastard.

I kicked the door to the hideout and headed back inside. Once I got back up to my living space, I cracked open a coke and devoured the sandwich whole. It was delicious. I hadn't had fresh food in a long time. It tasted fresh anyways, I mean...it was from a gas station. But it was a lot better than eating some moldy crackers for the sixth day in a row.

"Mr. Ferguson, do you think I'm crazy?" I asked my stuffed bear as I finished eating.

After a moment of silence, I picked up the bear and made him talk himself. "Of course not, Hank." I mouthed. "You're the best ever!"

"Thanks, Mr. Ferguson."

To be fair, maybe I am going a little crazy.