Chapter Roku

July 9th, 2017

10:54am

Okay... You can do this... You can do this... What the hell am I doing? Breaking into a foreclosed home to see if there is a fraction of a chance that Hank would be in there. I began to ask myself, was it worth it. Was it worth risking my entire career to catch my old friend turned homicidal maniac?

When I first wanted to be a cop and a detective, I thought it would be so simple. Every crime would make sense, every criminal put away. They don't show it like that in the movies, Steve McQueen doesn't jump in a green Mustang and drive through the streets to catch the bad guy. Vile, random and anarchy. That's what this world is... And to think, that my friend, a man I trusted and cared for is at the center of these... Heinous crimes! Sickening.

Oh, to hell with it. I'm going in. I had enough brooding time while standing in front of the empty house. The yard wasn't kept and no marking, but some faint deer tracks. Walking up the stone pathway to the patio, no signs of entry. The door wasn't busted in and still locked and the front windows were intact.

Might as well check around the back of the house, I got to see the whole picture. Graffiti littered the sides of the home, along with the backside. In the yard, an old swing set and sand pit. It reminded me of when Hank and I would go to the park and play as children. We'd stay on the swings just chatting nonsense for hours on end...

One of the back windows was broken, from the inside and the door had been busted. Could be Hank, could be stupid kids or gang members. Either way, I was ready. I had my M1911 pistol resting in it's holster ready for anything.

Despite my attempts to be sneaky, the door was squeaky like Spongebob's boots. Shining my phone flashlight around the room, it was littered with more graffiti and broken glass. The glass came from frames, windows and a few crack pipes... I should've known, nothing but druggies and dumb kids in here. Hank doesn't seem like the type who would hit the crack pipe or the bong. Doubtful he was here, but I better do a thorough sweep.

The house was empty of people, but full of the family's memorabilia. Framed pictures of them and pets. Paintings of European cities and countrysides. I would've called it harmonic if not for the asbestos aroma which lingered within. I've seen enough here, there was no sign of Hank or anything that would give me a clue. Darn it!

It's nearing lunch, I suppose I can go to that shopping center after I grab a quick bite to eat. Shouldn't be too big of a drive and there's a McDonalds a few blocks down. I guess, I should grab some nuggets.

The McDonalds was unremarkable, small place, few people and the smell of frozen food being re-cooked. Lovely! The line was short so I figured I should take my time looking at the menu. I think I'll go for the McFlurry and McNuggets, best for the twenty piece. Nothing says detective like five dollar food. "Hi, welcome to McDonalds, how may I help you?" Her voice was like Yzma from Emperor's New Groove, but... Oh my God!

"Lindsey is that you?"

"Max, wow, what brings your sorry ass here?"

"Cheap food and sickness. You, work here?"

"Making minimum wage, now what can I help you with."

"McFlurry and twenty piece nuggets. How've you been, it's been awhile?" She shouted my order back to the cooks and turned back to me. Her unpleasant attitude made it hard to have a decent conversation. "I work at McDonalds... How do you think it's going?"

"Unpleasant by the looks of it." Customer is always right, I can shit talk all I want if she wasn't going to be respectful.

"You still with that loser, Hank?"

"No, I'm hunting him down." A spark of interest began to flicker within her eyes and now she takes notice.

"Benjamin! I'm on my break!" She yelled while taking off that ridiculous hat of hers. I sat to the nearest table and she seated herself across from me. "What do you mean by that?"

"He's a serial killer, I'm trying to find where he is."

She looked even more surprised than before. Eyes widening, face turning red and a crooked smile to compliment it. "What, did he throw a tantrum, because you didn't love him back?"

"I don't know, maybe... Doesn't matter, what does matter is that I'm going to lock behind bars for good!" I tried to make my voice sound deep and intimidating, it didn't help that my voice cracked when I said 'bars'. She chuckled while one of the other employees brought me my meal.

"Sure you don't want a toy with that?" Sarcasm, she never changes. All she's missing is the constant cruelty. "I would've never guessed he'd be capable of something like that!"

I continued to eat my meal and drink my shake while she continued to grasp the situation. The chicken was undercooked and the shake was warm, as if McDonalds couldn't get any worse. I suppose working here, is worse. Sorry not sorry, Lindsey.

"Well he is, as far as we know he's been at it for a year... Here, take my card, if that murderer ever walks in here or you see him around, you give me a call." I wasn't going to bother finishing my meal, but I was going to take the shake with me. Dumping the chicken in the trash and slurping down the McFlurry, Lindsey turns back to me with a twinkle in her eye. "Why not just kill him?"

"Cops don't kill."

"I see it all the time on the TV."

"If I murder him, Lindsey, than I am no better than he... And that defeats the point of all of this. This is about vengeful justice and that is what I intend to do!" I dare not speak another word to her, I left quickly, didn't want to hear another snide remark from her. Best not to get riled up, I'm stressed as is.

While I sat in my car, sucking my McFlurry, I began to make a plan in place if Hank is there. It would be best to visit the LOOP and question the employees, they might know him and be of use. After questioning, I think it would be best to scout the shopping center, it is a large building and it has lots of exits. Scouting would be smart, waiting for nightfall would be smart too. I have the cover of darkness on my side and if he's sleeping, it makes it easier.

LOOP, question employees, scout building, find exits, possibly block exits, wait for night, go in and hopefully find him. The reason I didn't do this at the house, because the house has two exits and is smaller. A place this massive shouldn't be underestimated; and if he is here, he'll know it better than I will. Scouting would give me a slight advantage if he is here... Okay, time to head out! I spun my tires and drove off to the LOOP... I need gas, bonus!

While I filled up my car, I went through my checklist which I wrote down from earlier. Chucking my check list in the passenger seat, I took my notebook for questioning. I dashed for the inside of the LOOP, in hopes of getting something... Anything.

"Good day, sir how may I help you?" The old Indian man asked with a massive grin on his face that spread so far it could split the Red Sea.

"I certainly hope so." I took out my wallet and showed him my badge. "I am detective Max and I am currently working on a case. I have some questions for you."

"Of course officer! Happy to help!" He seemed to be extremely ecstatic to help out, I liked his enthusiasm. Admired it, more like.

"Do you know anyone by the name of Hank Keegan?"

"No officer, I'm afraid I do not." I opened my wallet again and took out a picture of us two when we graduated the academy. I slid the photograph across the counter to him in hopes of something.

"This man is a armed and a dangerous serial killer who is in hiding. He's the one on the right." His eyes lit up light up like the Fourth of July and my heart jumped out of it's chest in anticipation.

"I've seen this man, officer! He comes in occasionally to buy food and drinks." Yes, yes, yes! A lead, hell yes. I have something, screw you commissioner! I tried not to let my excitement overwhelm me, I needed to keep my cool.

"Do you know where he lives?"

"No officer, but he comes in and buys food and drinks. If it helps I have security footage of him?" No good to me, but if he's buying stuff here, all lines point to that shopping center. He has to be there! He has to be!