Chapter Seventeen

Simple yet wonderful cover made by ThoseWhoDont Thanks so much!!

I understand on the update schedule I posted to my Instagram it says that I should be up to chapter 19 by tomorrow, but college has started up again and I don't have the amount of time I expected to. Sorry!

His Game: Chapter Seventeen

Though I'm salty Joey is making me stay on the couch instead of her bed, I don't offer much of an objection. I know it won't get me anywhere if I do. She's going to do what she wants.

Joey, however, doesn't go up to bed right away. Whether it be she's too tired to stand up or actually wants to stay and talk, she doesn't leave. We even debate buying Chinese food before realizing nowhere would be open at three in the morning in our suburban town.

"Aren't you tired?" I ask as I kick my shoes off. "We spent the last hour cleaning, and you spend the previous three hours partying."

She chuckles and gets comfy on the couch with a small shrug, "Tired, but interested."

My eyes widen, "Interested in..."

"Learning more about you. Learning more about the origin of this game."

I sit up a little, "Why?"

"Out of all the school's I've gone to," she starts, glancing my way, "I've never met someone quite like you. Most people fall into a specific mold, and I thought you did, but now I'm not so sure."

I smirk teasingly, "Is that a form of a compliment I hear?"

Her pursed lips melt into a small smile, "You sound so hopeful. Searching for my approval?"

"Always have a question of your own, don't you?"

She glances away, "Questions are the only way to figure someone out."

"How am I supposed to figure you out if you don't answer mine?"

"You haven't answered mine, either," she responds.

I stare at her and then crack a smile, "Touché, Joey."

"And yeah," she starts, "it was a compliment. I didn't think there was any more to you than this game, but you're slowly proving me to be mistaken."

My brows raise at her honesty, "Well if we're suddenly answering these questions; I am looking for your approval. I like it when people like me."

"Explains the game."

Before I have time to really think about her response, she shifts the conversation. "You know, I had a lot of girls come up to me tonight and ask about this game."

I quirk a brow in shock. "What'd they ask?"

"How I'm doing so well."

I open my mouth to provide a witty response, but nothing comes to my mind, and she continues.

"And how I've somehow made us look like an actual couple."

I scrunch up my face, "I don't know about that one. It's not like we walk down the hall hand-in-hand like a couple."

Joey only nods slowly, resting her head back on the couch as her mind moves elsewhere.

"I don't see it either," she admits, "But guys have even stopped flirting with me the further into this month we get."

I snap my head over to her and furrow my brow, "Guys flirt with you?"

Joey rolls her head to the side to meet my gaze and chuckles lightly, "Yes Rhett, girls aren't the only gender to know about your game. Most of the guys at school know how you work, they want to have their foot in the door for when this ends."