~One~

One

"You know, I've never seen you so scared. Not when I first met you. Not even when you mentioned Elijah and Klaus." Stefan studied the woman he used to love. "Why?"

Katherine looked at the blond Salvatore with a narrowed gaze, "And why should I tell you?"

He shrugged, not actually caring, "I can't really handle the constant silence and I'm curious to why you're so upset."

The Petrova vampire pursed her lips, mulling over her two options. She could tell him about her daughter or not. But what would he do and how would he react?

"After I left you and Damon, I fled to France where I found a small village that was completely obliterated. Everything was either ash or embers and I was about to just leave because I couldn't care less. But," Katherine peeked at Stefan with a sad, but reminiscent expression. "I heard a baby crying."

Stefan's eyebrow rose. This wasn't the Katherine he knew. The Katherine he knew was conniving and manipulative. Scheming and self-serving. But the vampire in front of him was soft and vulnerable. Fearful and... motherly.

"I followed the crying and I was lead to a black and crispy body of a woman. And underneath it, was a little baby."

The Salvatore gaped, shocked.

"I couldn't leave her there, Stefan. She brought back memories of my own baby when she was taken from me and she was so beautiful," Katherine left out a soft laugh, her eyes glazed over, lost in the past,   "When I picked her up, she went quiet and opened her eyes to stare at me. She had the prettiest icy eyes and a tuft of the whitest hair on her head. And when she grinned at me, it started to snow. She was a witch. A special witch."

"Wow. Who knew you weren't so heartless," Stefan said sarcastically, rolling his eyes before he crossed his arms, "So what? You only kept her because she was a witch and could use her for your own purpose?"

She chuckled, "You think so low of me Stefan. But you'd be surprised. I would never use her. She meant too much to me. I called her Wynter. I found it fitting, she was the embodiment of it. And as she grew..." Katherine turned her head to look the blond dead in the eye, "I'm scared, Stefan, because the person I love the most in this world might be coming to Mystic Falls and with Klaus on his way, he could very well kill her. And I don't want that to happen."

The Salvatore's mind was close to exploding. Especially when he could see the tears beginning to pool in her eyes and hear the slight waver in her voice.

Katherine sniffled, "I was close to staking myself before I found Wynter, did you know that? I was so close. I couldn't handle running any longer. But she... I can't help but love her. No one can. She just has that aura around her that draws you in. It calms you. Makes you happy and content. That girl is the sweetest thing to ever exist."

He was completely paralyzed. And stiffened even further when Katherine vamp sped over to him.

"If I die, Stefan can you promise me something? Please?"

"The Katherine Pierce is asking me something? And she said please? Are you feeling okay?" The Salvatore joked weakly.

"I'm not asking you. I'm begging you."

His jaw dropped and his forest green eyes widened. He then nodded slowly, willing to hear her out. They call him Saint Stefan for a reason, don't they?

"If I die before Wynter arrives, please look after her. Please. Promise me you won't hurt her and don't let Damon either. I know I can't compel you to do this, but please. She is my everything." The Petrova whispered the last words, almost as if she was speaking to herself.

Stefan's eyes flickered between both of Katherine's, studying her. At that moment, he saw a desperate mother who was terrified that her daughter would be left alone before she could even say goodbye.

"I think I want to meet her first before promising you anything. You've burned me once, Katherine, so shame on you."

"I guess I'll take what I can get then. But trust me when I say, you'll love her. Everybody does."

:3

Walking through the freezing woodlands, a white haired vampire was steadily making her way to Mystic Falls. Something in her gut had told her that she just needed to be there. And Wynter always trusted her gut.

The forest was almost silent. She could hear some songbirds and the chitter chatter of the woodland animals. Plus the crunching of her black heeled boots on the fallen leaves and twigs.

Wynter shoved her hands deep into her woollen coat's pockets, a sigh escaping her lips and with it a puff of her visible breath. She really hoped Kat was okay. The woman knew that her mother was on her way to this small town.

Beneath her coat, Wynter wore a light pink button up blouse and light blue skinny jeans, with her soft, snow white hair cascading down her back, ending just below her rib cage.

If one were to take a quick glance, the vampire would look like she was wearing a white fur scarf around her neck, but if they were to look closer, they would see it was actually a sleeping Arctic Fox.

Wynter stroked its tail, and smiled softly, thinking thoughts that had never been thunk.

The fox yawned in her ear, then nipped on her pierced lobe.

"To Mystic Falls, we go."