Distance

Skylar tossed her suitcase on the bed to load more clothes into it. She had just finished all the laundry in the house so she had plenty of stuff to choose from for her 4 day work trip.

She turned around to grab some toiletries from the bathroom and heard something behind her. "Excuse you." She laughed picking up the little black and white cat. Brooklyn snuggled under Skylar's chin purring. "Can't come with me." She said scratching the cat behind her ear. "But I love that you're gonna miss me so much." She smiled thinking how funny it was that this was the same cat that two years ago would hiss whenever Skylar entered the room.

It then got her thinking how crazy it was that her and Brian had been together for two and half years now. Time really was flying. They had been living together since the chaos with Rocco, who was safely behind bars after he took a guilty plea, and never once had she regretted that decision. She still had her parent's lake house they tried to sneak away to as often as they could but with their busy schedules it wasn't as much as she would like.

Skylar had been working for a world news program show for the past year which required her to travel to many different places to cover news stories. Her dream job was to always be a producer and when she was offered the position with a huge news organization she jumped at the chance. However with it covering global issues, not necessarily local, she was always on the go. Pair that with Brian's touring schedule, it was borderline impossible to spend time together the past few months.

That's why she took advantage of any little time they did have. Brian had been away for the past three nights but was due home this afternoon which is why she was getting all her packing done now. She was leaving on assignment tomorrow morning and would be gone the rest of the week. Her phone rang on the bed and she plopped down to answer it.

"Hi baby!" She answered.

"Hey honey." Brian greeted his girl.

"So I know you said not to stress myself out with picking you up but I finished all my notes so I'm gonna meet you at the airport. So just text me the gate info." She said.

"Umm... shit." He muttered under his breath. "Kinda why I'm calling baby." He sighed.

"Don't tell me." She said hanging her head in defeat.

"We didn't get enough content. Gotta stay one more day to get everything done." Brian explained. Right now they were in Orlando shooting an episode and were scheduled to wrap last night but it just didn't go as planned. "There was this huge thunderstorm that set us back, we lost half a day yesterday." Skylar closed her eyes in pure frustration not even speaking. Deep down she knew this wasn't his fault but she was still pissed. "Hello? Still there?" He asked when she hadn't said anything.

"Yeah." She sighed kicking the suitcase off the bed in aggravation.

"But I'm taking the first flight out in the morning and will be landing about 10:30 in New York." He said hopeful that he didn't plant himself in the doghouse.

"Don't rush back, I won't be here." She said.

"Whatta mean?" He asked now aggravated himself at her overreacting.

"I'm flying outta JFK at noon Brian." She reminded him.

"Wait, I thought that was next week." He questioned. "That's what you said when I asked you."

"Yeah it was next week when you asked me last week." She answered.

"Are you kidding? How long you gone for?" He asked now so frustrated that he had to stay in Orlando another night.

"3 nights. Won't be back until Sunday evening." She said sighing loudly. This routine was getting incredibly old.

"Can't you push it out a little further?" He asked.

"Brian, a new pope is being ordained at the Vatican. How do you expect me to push that out?" She responded. Never once did she discredit what Brian did for a living but sometimes he really didn't understand, it was easier for an Impractical Jokers shoot to be moved around than a global broadcast program. She could just picture his face right now, his big brown puppy dog eyes pouting. It scared her how well she knew him. "Let me see what I can do, if we wrap early I'll try to take a red eye out Friday night."

"I'm sorry this got messed up baby." He said feeling like the world's worst boyfriend.

"Say it." She smiled.

"Love you." He said relived she wasn't too mad.

"Love you too." She said back. "I miss you though."

"God I miss you too." He responded. "Any chance I can get some pictures." He said in a growl that always got her excited.

"Well considering I have three cats currently looking through my soul, that might have to wait." She giggled.

"Feed the babies and call me later. Love you. I'm sorry." He emphasized.

"It's okay." She sighed and hung up. "I'm used to it by now." She said to herself after she hung up.
________________________________
"Thank you so much." Skylar thanked the desk attendant at check in.

"Enjoy your flight Ma'am." She responded.

Skylar pulled her carryon behind her and navigated through the airport. She swore sometimes she lived in airports. As she looked at the signs she tried to locate gate 12-B. Glancing at her watch she realized she had time for a quick coffee so she ducked into Starbucks. "Tall mocha latte please:" She said to the barista.

"God are you predictable." She heard a voice next to her say.

Skylar handed her debit card to the woman behind the counter and smiled brightly shaking her head. Looking to her left she saw Brian sitting on a stool. "Are you kidding?!" She laughed. "How the hell did you find me in JFK airport?"

"Wasn't hard." He answered standing up. "I looked up your flight and then found the closest place to get coffee to your gate...and here you are."

Skylar abandoned her coffee on the counter and wrapped her arms around Brian's neck. "You do realize you just made it 10 times harder to get on this plane right?" She then placed her lips onto his.

Brian moaned into her kiss. "I'm sorry I ruined the plan." He said once he came up for air.

"Things happen. We're both busy, I get it." She responded then immediately started kissing him again.

"I love you Skylar." He said.

"I love you." She whined against his lips.

"Go cover this story and then get home." He ordered.

"I will." She promised.

"Say it." He smiled.

"I love you Brian Quinn." She said.

"I love you Skylar Thompson." He responded back.

Brian glanced up at the clock realizing the time, she had to catch her flight. "You gotta go." He said pulling back.

With one final kiss to his lips she grabbed her coffee, "Thanks for the surprise. I'll call you when I land."

"Go!" He said again this time with a spank to her ass.

Skylar yelped grabbed her stinging ass and bit her lip. This man drove her insane without even trying. She just wished they would spend more time together.