Bad Words

Brian would never make a scene at a huge event, especially one that was so important for his girl's career. However that didn't change the fact that he was pissed off. This asshole knew about something huge like this about Skylar but he didn't. Why wouldn't she tell him about the offer?

Skylar could tell something was wrong when she got back from talking to Cynthia and Ben Linn. When she asked if he was okay he responded sharply that he was. The drive home wasn't any better and Skylar felt pretty confused and a little uncomfortable that her boyfriend's mood had turned so sour so suddenly.

When they walked into the house Bessy was reading on the love seat while the girls snoozed against one another on the larger sofa. "How was the night?" Bessy smiled speaking softly so she didn't wake the kids.

"Great, Skylar won producer of the year." Brian grumbled seeming not as impressed as Bessy would think he would be. He was always the first to brag about her cousin's accomplishments.

"That's great!" She smiled ignoring Q's foul mood and hugging her cousin.

"Yeah it was unexpected that's for sure." Skylar smiled sadly accepting the compliment.

Bessy was sensing some tension and decided to leave quickly and give them their privacy. She would hopefully get more of the story tomorrow from Skylar. She quickly scooped up her still sleeping daughter and headed out quietly.

Brian headed into the kitchen for a beer but Skylar was fast on his heels. "Alright..." she started coming into the kitchen, "What the hell is your problem?" She asked now completely over the silent treatment she was getting.

"Nothing." He snapped taking a long sip from his beer.

Skylar had had it and quickly grabbed the bottle from his grasp causing liquid to fall to the floor. "Excuse me!" He barked.

"Yeah...Excuse you!" Skylar responded slamming the bottle down on the counter. "What the fuck is your deal?! And don't say nothing, I'm sick of that answer!"

"When the hell were you gonna tell me you were offered a job in China?!" Brian finally gave in.

Skylar's face automatically dropped hearing him actually say the words. "So you were keeping it from me!" Brian exclaimed when he saw the panic on his girl's face.

"I wasn't keeping it from you I just..." Skylar began to say.

"Not telling me on purpose is keeping it from me Skylar." Brian said rolling his eyes and grabbing his beer back off the counter.

"I'm not taking it so why does it matter?" She countered.

"Exactly, why does it matter!?" He yelled throwing his arms up in the air. "I had to hear about it from that fucking asshole, how you think that made me look when I had no clue what he was talking about?"

"What asshole?" Skylar asked now completely lost.

"Brock." Brian asked with a jealous tone to his voice.

"Why is he an asshole?" Skylar asked cocking her head to the side on confusion.

"Oh please, the guy wants you. And if you don't see it, you're an idiot." Brian snapped.

"Don't call me an idiot Brian!" Skylar shouted feeling her rage build. "And I work with the guy so don't even fucking start with that shit!"

Brian was about to open his mouth and continue the argument when he stopped shutting his mouth instantly. Skylar saw the look on his face and quickly turned around to see what he was looking at...better yet who he was looking at. "Shit." She sighed under her breath when she saw a tiny blonde girl in a Frozen nightgown crying in the doorway clinging to her stuffed koala bear.

"Why are you yelling and using bad words?" Shiloh managed to say through her hysteric tears. The couple eyed each other quickly. During her therapy sessions with Dr. Fields it didn't take long to figure out that yelling, especially the loudness of a man's voice was a big trigger for the little girl. Of course Dr.Fields  knew it wasn't realistic for a couple to not fight but she strongly urged them to be mindful of this when around Shiloh, at least until she had more time to work with the girl. Shiloh would need to learn how to cope with yelling but at this point she was still very fragile. Up until this point the couple had been good about not fighting in front of Shiloh.

"Hey baby." Brian said softly placing his beer back down and stepping closer to the small child. However with each step he took, Shiloh clutched her stuff animal tighter and kept backing away. "Shiloh come here." Brian said.

For the very first time Shiloh was very fearful of Brian. She had never heard him yell like that and it scared her to death. Flashbacks of the bad man screaming at Mommy kept racing through her mind. Brian had never seen Shiloh look at him like she was now, he usually saw nothing but a sweet little girl that he could make laugh and smile all the time. Now the guilt was setting in that he was truly frightening her.

Skylar immediately picked up on the same feeling and bent down reaching for her hand. With a little hesitation Shiloh reached out her shaky little hand, her breathing still heavy with fright. "Brian and I were just having a little fight. It's nothing serious though honey." Skylar said stroking the little girl's hair.

"But you were saying all kinds of bad words." She chocked out.

"You're right we were." Skylar answered taking a deep breath. Her adrenaline was still pumping from the argument but that had to be placed on hold for the moment. "Sometimes grown up have to fight. It's how they let out what's bothering them. But you know Brian would never hurt me or you. He loves us way to much."

Shiloh looked up uneasily at Brian who had now taken a seat at the table. "I don't like when you fight." She said sadly.

"I don't either." Skylar responded, "I'm sorry we scared you Shiloh, we will do better at making sure that doesn't happen anymore." She added this time locking eyes with Brian.

The walls that the little girl had put up when she heard yelling slowly started to drop and slowly she shuffled her feet over to the man at the table. Cautiously Brian reached down for her and Shiloh let him place her on his lap. "I'm sorry baby. I lost my temper but Skylar's right I would never do anything to hurt you both."

Slowly her tears were starting to dry up and as tight as she could Shiloh wrapped her arms around Brian's neck, the only man she had ever trusted in her whole life.
________________________________
It took some time but they were finally able to get the little girl calmly to sleep in her own bed. Skylar must have read her 10 books but with Sapphire at the foot of the bed, Shiloh's eyes grew heavy and eventually the couple was able to slip out. Shiloh and the tiniest cat in the house had formed a bond quickly and now wherever the little girl was, you could be sure a small white kitten wasn't far behind.

Being so consumed with Shiloh, they hadn't addressed their argument in the kitchen yet. After brushing her teeth and taking off her makeup, Skylar entered the bedroom. She pulled back the covers and slid in next to her man. Leaning over she placed a small kiss to his cheek. "You're right I should have told you. I'm sorry I didn't." She said.

"Just be honest with me, did you consider taking it?" He asked looking at her in desperation with those giant brown eyes she couldn't imagine her days without.

"I could never leave you for a job baby." She answered quickly, "I could never leave you for anything in this world."

Satisfied with that answer, Brian pulled her close then began running his hand down her body. As he made love to her that night, Skylar put out of her thoughts the offer from Cynthia tonight to double her salary if she took the job. Her home was New York, her home was Brian.