Flower Fields and Made Up Minds

Judge Harrison sat in his chambers all morning going over transcripts from the courtroom and records from the young girl's school and doctors. He took his glasses off and dropped them to the desk rubbing his head to hopefully shake his headache. Being a judge was never an easy job but this case was a particularly tough one. He knew if he didn't make the right decision it would effect the rest of this little girl's life and if it was the wrong one who knows what path it would send her down.

Sighing heavily he picked up the folders containing background information on Brian Quinn and Skylar Thompson. He did his best to stay away from any stories printed from the media or Mr. Quinn's television show. However this was easier said then done considering at one point multiple stories were out about the comedian dating such a younger woman with an exotic past. This was something that he needed to take into deep consideration. Was the best place for this fragile girl to be was in a home that had parents in the spotlight?

"Yes?" Judge Harrison answered his phone when it rang in his desk.

"Your Honor, the little girl from St. Elizabeth's has arrived with a case worker." The clerk told him.

"Send them up but instruct the case worker they are to wait outside the room." Judge Harrison ordered then hung up quickly. Then he removed his judge robe, over the years he noticed it would intimidate young children so he decided it was best to take it off.

A few short minutes later one of the clerks knocked on the door softly and entered with a small child. "You must be Shiloh." He smiled.

"Ye yes." Shiloh muttered nervously hugging her stuffed koala very tightly.

"My name is Gary." He said deciding to use his first name, another tactic to not make the little girl nervous. "And I was hoping to talk to you for a little but if that's okay."

"Are you another doctor?" Shiloh asked sighing heavily.

"No, I'm actually a judge." He smiled.

"What's that?" She asked.

"I listen to people and then make important decisions." He explained trying to simplify it for her.

"What kind of decisions." She asked.

"All sorts." He said with a wink and then smiled when he heard the small girl let out a tiny giggle. "Now Shiloh you asked if I was another doctor. Do you see a lot of doctors?" He asked.

"Yeah and it always stinks so I'm happy you're not one." She responded sitting down at the table and started drawing with the crayons Judge Harrison had left out for her.

"Why does it stink?" He asked taking a seat across from her.

"Cause they wanna talk about stuff that I don't wanna talk about." She answered but this time in a sadder tone. It was then that the judge decided to not push the topic right now. He wanted Shiloh to feel comfortable, not the opposite and shut down.

"Can we talk about Brian and Skylar?" He asked.

All of a sudden Shiloh's head shot up and a light entered her eyes. "You know Brian and Skylar?!"

"I do and I was hoping you could tell me about your time living with them." Judge Harrison said.

"They sent me away." She said her sadness returning.

"They did? Why would they do that?" He asked knowing very well this was the furthest thing from the truth.

Shiloh shrugged her shoulders looking down again at the table. "They said they wouldn't but I think the other kids were right. I am crazy."